Wednesday, October 30, 2013

A Week In Knitting...with a(n) FO

Let's start with the FO:  A pair of Narcissa Socks from the Unofficial HP Knits Book, designed by the wonderful Rachel Coopey.
6 hours of train travel on Monday took me from the heel turn of sock two to the toe.
The yarn is Viscount of Spark from Countess Ablaze in the amazing colour "Nerds Prefer their Rainbows Darker".  These pictures show the colour as being slightly brighter than in real life.  It is definitely Darker :)
You might be able to see the sparkles if you squint...?
The yarn is 75% merino, 20% nylon and 5% stellina and it is superwash.  Hopefully they will be hard-wearing.  They are pretty stretchy, even the picot cuff, which is a very good thing as they are not for me.  Ssssssh!

Tuesday found me in the Haematology waiting room, so I cast on the Hector socks from Rachel Coopey's book "A Knitted Sock Society".  The yarn came from the p-hop table in York 2013 and is 100% easy care Merino from YarnAddict in a club colour called January - it is really soft!  In the skein it was in evenly-divided sections of lime green, lilac, mint green and light blue.  I took the risk that it might stripe, and it is doing a rather pretty spiral in even 1-inch sections.
In a competition for attention, the Hector pattern stands up well against the colours of the yarn.  It is working up quickly and is another super-stretchy rib / lace combination- perfect for gift-knitting!  I almost considered these for a man... but only a golfer would cope with such bright hues.  Sorry FL - they are not for you after all!
 And last but not least - I have serious progress to report on my Kex blanket!
I have almost completed section 2 (of 4, plus border).
The picture above is pretty true to colour.
The picture below shows how it looks next to section 1 in bright sunlight.
At 4 rows an hour, it continues to feel like a gargantuan project, but it is heartening to see such evidence of progress after just one week of dedicated attention.  At this rate I might finish it by...
Let's just say" I might finish it".  That's good enough for me!

8 comments:

mags said...

Such lovely knits. I particularly like the wool for the hector pattern and the blanket ... Gorgeous.

Colleen said...

The blanket is gorgeous. When it is finished it is going to be breathtaking....

LinB said...

You are a knitting fiend! I envy your parti-colored, lacy woolen foot covers; but not enough to deviate from stolidly knitting up my standard 2 x 2 ribbed socks with striped tops and solid soles (for which I have actually memorized a pattern of attack). The Kex looks like being an heirloom one day. Don't let your children toss it away when they tump you into the Old Folk's Home one day long hence!

MaryinTN said...

Beautiful work! The Kex is very pretty. I love the combination of colors you are using.

The Foggy Knitter said...

I love the Hector socks

cutitoutstitchitup said...

I'm new to knitting socks, I've just started on my 3rd pair. Nothing fancy just stocking stitch and rib at the momen. Yours are an inspiration!
The colours are fantastic.

christinelaennec said...

All such beautiful, colourful work. I never would have thought that yarn would work so beautifully with Hector. You're a genius!

acharmofmagpies said...

So many pretty things! You are amazing, just amazing.