Thursday, October 10, 2013

FO: Hermione's Time-Turner Mitts

Stats:
Pattern:  Hermione's Time-Turner Mitts from the Unofficial HP Knits Book
Yarn:  YarnYard 100% Merino in Blood Orange, a Small Skein Society Yarn (Round 3), plus a smidgen of Curious Yarns sock in the colour Neptune (long discontinued, leftover from my Mad Budgie socks)
Needles:  2.75mm dpns
 
This was a really enjoyable knitting project. 
I love patterns which keep you interested with lots of achievable milestones along the way.
These are simple cabled mitts, yes, but the central panel is framed so beautifully by the flowing stitches.
The designer allowed extra width over the thumb without losing the integrity of the cables or the purls between them.  Clever!
The only thing I changed was the cast-on method.  The suggested style just wasn't working out for me.
And I used slightly smaller needles to make them wind-proof :)
 "L" and "R"?
Um... I have difficulty remembering which is Left and which is Right.
Why do you think I failed my driving test so many times?
 Verdict?
A big thumbs up for the pattern, the yarn (tweedy but softer than most rustic-looking wool) and the Blood Orange tea!

And I might as well 'fess up to the rest of my "styling":
Shirt:  found secondhand on ebay after I saw Ysolda wearing something very similar on her blog.
Jacket:  bought full-price (scary!) from Seasalt Cornwall because I desperately needed a warm and waterproof winter coat and this one was ORANGE!  If it doesn't last me 10 years I will be very sad.
Nails:  Priti NYC non-toxic nail polish in Snapdragon (because I have decent nails for the first time this year!)



13 comments:

beate grigutsch said...

funny!
hubby needs this markings on the mitts too - for me as copilot who reads the maps it´s sometimes nervwrecking - "the other left!!!"
the weather coat is gorgeous and you cant get lost in the highlands :-)

Jen Forsythe said...

What beautiful bright, zesty colours, very cheery on an autumn day and even the nails to match. When you've been making clothes for a while, it is a bit of a shock when having to make a purchase like a coat, but it is lovely, I'm sure you'll get great wear out of it.

Anna said...

I have that mug! I also don't easily remember left from right. When I took my driving test I wrote a small L between thumb and forefinger on my left hand so I could see it when I was holding the wheel. My family all know to point which way they want me to go when I'm driving and I have to glance at the satnav to see what it means which can be annoying!

Lovely mits, coat and shirt!

Emma said...

Fab mittens! Fab styling!
I have the illicit pattern book, so will make these.
:0)

Donna Hensley said...

Those are really cute! I have trouble with my left and right also, so I quite appreciate your solution ;)

Scruffybadger said...

Nearly an Orange Wednesday ! Is that an orange infusion? I love orange on you, and adore your mitts. Pretty wool, I love the texturing and it shows the stitches off really nicely.

Carolyn said...

Gorgeous little mitts!

opportunityknits said...

Pretty mitts, love the yarn and the L and R embroidery is brilliant! I love the colour of your nails too.

MaryinTN said...

Awesome polish, mitts and jacket! I love that color and pairing the blue with the orange on the mitts was fab!

jessica said...

Gorgeous Roo! Love the mitts and the styling!

Cazz said...

yep me too. usually I point to the direction I mean as the first word out of my mouth is usually wrong. I have learnt to to hesitate first, check inside brain, then speak. A useful ploy anyway, but definitely needed when pointng out left and right.

Love the gloves - pattern is delightful and I love the contrast of the orange and the blue.

Jacq C said...

Oh that's blown my theory - I too struggle with Left and Right (passing my driving test was so hard, by the time I'd figured out 'take the second on the left' I'd invariably missed it!), this has always formed part of my excuse for being a rubbish knitter. But you're a brilliant knitter so my hopelessness is not linked to being Directionally Chalenged at all :)

acharmofmagpies said...

They're beautiful, of course, and the hint of blue is sublime. Orange is a great colour on you! I'm sure you're going to get lots of wear out of these.