Sunday, October 20, 2013

FO: Thistle Scarf by Tin Can Knits

  
Stats:
Pattern:  Thistle Scarf by Tin Can Knits from Handmade in the UK
I couldn't see the thistles until I blocked it.
They are, of course, upside down in these photographs!
The first third is thistle lace, and then it transitions to wonderful architectural lace columns, which you work until you run out of yarn.
  
 Yarn:  Enchant from Skein Queen:  a blend of baby alpaca, silk and cashmere in fingering weight.
This yarn has it all:  it is soft, light, drapey, lustrous with a sheen of silk and slightly fluffy with a halo of alpaca.
The colourway "Strawberries and Champagne" is variegated, but not so much that it would hide the lace pattern.

  
 Process:
I began this project on a whim, and then my emotions got the better of me and I whipped it up in a whirlwind of knitting over the space of 12 days.
The thistles did not come easily to me, and I was glad to begin the columns, which rolled off the needles at a remarkable rate.

  

 Verdict?
Really rather lovely, if I say so myself!
I will definitely knit this pattern again, and I had to stop myself from winding a skein of actual laceweight straightaway, because I wanted to see how it looks in a semi-solid, at an even lighter gauge.

  

 It is off in the post tomorrow, a gift for another "wife of cancer".
A supportive knitterly hug, if you like.

  

And although we don't have much in the way of strawberries or champagne in these parts, the view over the fields this morning was fittingly hazy and romantic.

  
And nature had even woven some of its own lace outside the bothy.

I startled a group of deer in the trees which surround our house.
They leaped across the fields before I got the chance to say hello.
But for once they stopped and looked back.
Hello my dears!


20 comments:

wendy said...

What a beautiful hug, the scarf is soooo pretty. You live in a stunning place Roo!

Lizzi said...

Pretty, pretty scarf -and a very kind thought behind it.

I love your autumnal photos, too.

pennylibrarian said...

Well, that scarf is just delicious. Better than strawberries and champagne which in my opinion are overrated!

Jennifer C said...

Gorgeous scarf :)

Sarah said...

What a beautiful scarf, Roo, and a very thoughtful gift.

beate grigutsch said...

beautiful scarf, beautiful autumn pictures. makes me smile :-)

Donna Hensley said...

Beautiful knitting, beautiful scenery, and I gotta say that I love the spiderweb shot. :)

Jen Forsythe said...

What a beautiful scarf, I'm sure your friend will be delighted. Super autumnal photos too.

unlabelled clothes said...

Beautiful post.

Terrij said...

You do such beautiful work.

MaryinTN said...

Love the scarf and fall pics. We have twins of your deer here today:)

tingledfangers said...

Beautiful scarf indeed and I'm sure that that knitterly hug will be greatly appreciated by the giftee. As one who is not good with spiders, I want to know what size of beast makes a cobweb like that????

madeinoxford said...

That really is a beautiful yarn/pattern combination, like they were made for each other. It's going to be a really appreciated hug, I'm sure.

Colleen said...

That is so gorgeous and I can almost feel its loveliness just by looking at it. It will float on her shoulders!

Scruffybadger said...

Wow, but that is delicious! Such fine work, I'm in awe. Such a lovely gift too.
Loved seeing the pictures of your views....

cindy said...

I love the scarf.I am sure the receiver will love it.

What a beautiful series of pictures that you have taken. I love to do watercolor. May I use the picture of the hazy view over the fields as inspiration for a painting?

Roobeedoo said...

Hi Cindy - yes of course you can! Thank you for asking.

cindy said...

Can you tell me its location?

acharmofmagpies said...

Such a beautiful scarf, and a wonderful thoughtful gift. Your photos are beautiful too. You definitely have an eye for beauty.

Roobeedoo said...

Hi Cindy - this is in Aberdeenshire.