Wednesday, November 13, 2013

A Week in Knitting: 3 HO's don't make a pair

This week I hit the halfway mark on 3 of my 4 current knitting projects. Woo hoo!
The biggest piece of news is of course my Kex Blanket.
Look at my cute baby! ;)
The wrong side
I decided to take the opportunity while it was off the needles to lay it out on a single bed, so you could get an idea of the size of this project.  He's a Big Fella.
The right side, with single bed for scale
The finished blanket will have the same two sections all over again, plus a 10cm border all the way round the outside.
Storage of my work-in-progress is becoming an issue.  At the moment, I can still squish the whole thing into my ISLY-inspired bag.  But for how much longer?!
Next up, I finished the first Alicia Mitt.  This picture was taken at the weekend, before I added the thumb.  I am really enjoying working with the J C Rennie Unique Shetland yarn.  It knits up into such a wonderfully even fabric, and is perfect for colourwork.  Yum!
Finally, I finished the first Hector sock.  I decided to bite the bullet and aim for a man-sized sock, even though the colours are... um... quite bright?  It is a really stretchy sock, and FL's main problem right now is the pain in his feet and ankles.  He appreciates socks that are soft, warm and easy to get off and on.  These are all 3 of those things, and I reckon he carry off a more flamboyant sock-statement with humour and aplomb!
Hector the Brave

11 comments:

beate grigutsch said...

love your knits :-)

pootleandmake said...

Those mits are so cute.

LinB said...

He's a big man in many senses of the word. A little color on his feet won't diminish that. Why don't you just store the Kex spread out on the single bed, when you aren't working on it? Might be an inspiration to finish it sooner, even.

MaryinTN said...

Love the Hector sock. Hope it gives FL's feet and ankles some comfort. Wow, that Kex is going to be big!!!

Sarah said...

Your blanket is a work of art! Wow! I love FL's new socks :)

sewstyled said...

Love the blues, greens and purples on Kex. I always thought it was knit with garter stitch!
P.S thanks for the size information.

mags said...

The blanket is amazing, very different to a lot of the blankets on blogs. Love the socks too what a beautiful pattern. I ave only knitted one pair and the are enormous

Donna Hensley said...

Lovely colors!! Enjoy the knitting :)

christinelaennec said...

Wow! Your blanket is stunning, and I love those Alicia mitts. The Hector socks will be perfect for FL!

Amphibiaknitter said...

I love the Kex. I can't wait to see it finished. If I had the patience of Job (which you apparently do), I'd make something similar. But easier.

I also love Hector the Brave. You can tell FL that if he squints a little, it actually looks like tartan and is in fact very manly. I was thinking of doing a pair of Hectors and now you've inspired me.

And I do love the Alicia Mitt. It's lovely. I need something similar for dog walking. But I'll be far too lazy to do beautiful colourwork. Yours are meant to be worn and shown off, not wrapped around dog leashes and doggie bags....

I hope things are calmer and easier on the home / convalescent front.

Scruffybadger said...

There's an overwhelming feeling of lush colour and texture looking at your knits. That blanket is going to be a stunner. ( it already is!) and I do love those socks....