Wednesday, November 27, 2013

A Week in Knitting (and a Dress in action)

It has been a hard hard work week.
So it is ironic that I had the cheek to take woolly-hatted selfies in the office at lunchtime yesterday when everyone else went out!
This is my Stovetop hat for The Girl, second attempt.
Her head is smaller than mine, but size Adult Small would have fitted a pixie.  I brought this upon  myself by using smaller needles than recommended... because they are the ones I have.
I really need to invest in a wider range of sizes of dpn.
For the record, I am using 3.75mm and 4.5mm, instead of 4mm and 5mm.
For my second try, I cast on 92 stitches (between a Medium and a Large) and then decreased one stitch after the rib, to bring it in line with size Adult Medium.  I think this is going to be fine in girth, but I might need to tweak the pattern to ensure it has sufficient slouch.
The kilt pin?  I split and dropped half a stitch  - it will be easily fixed later.
 
And in case you were wondering what I was wearing:  this is the Camber Dress worn with my lime vintage cashmere cardi and a silk scarf.  As you can see, it creases when sat upon all day.  You should see the rear view - eek!  Saggy baggy bottom!  But it is warm and comfortable and reasonably smart.  I just have to walk backwards out of rooms (while bowing and tugging my forelock, obviously!)
Next up:  an abandoned attempt at designing a tea cosy.
The stitch pattern is taken from the cape in Learn to Knit Love to Knit.  I am really glad I tried it out before investing in the yarn for the cape, because I really don't like the texture.
I would have persevered for the duration of a tea cosy, but it was coming up too small.  Again.  Tsk!
This was to be a gift.  Once I finish the hat, I need to get back to this project.

The last thing I worked on this week was my Alicia Mitts.  I have almost finished the colourwork on Mitt Two.  It looks exactly like the first one, so I didn't bother with a photo.

Oh - have you seen the Torirot Mystery Mitten KAL coming up in January?  I really like the sound of this one, and will be using some of my JC Rennie stash of mini-skeins.  Fun!  If you join before 15 January 2014, the pattern is free using a code which is easily found on Ravelry.  Too late for gifting this Christmas, but in plenty of time for next year!

10 comments:

Miriana said...

Love the colour combination in your outfit.

beate grigutsch said...

pretty color combo on you this day!

is the dress lined? lining works good against those sitting-creases! or you wear a slip.......

Sarah said...

I love your outfit, Roo! It suits you perfectly! Make more Camber dresses :) The hat is looking lovely - I am too scared to try cables in hats!

RooKnits said...

Thanks for the heads up on the mitten pattern... perfect January knitting.

jessica said...

Oooh! That hat looks like it's coming along nicely :-). Bummer about the hard work week - hope things lighten up soon.

I get saggy bum syndrome when I wear certain shift dresses as well. Seems to come with the territory! I've decided to pretend that nobody cares as much as I do - often when I say I'm on the fence about a handmade because of fit issues, most of my friends can't even guess what's the issue! So ... heh. A little bit of self-induced ignorance.

Lovely outfit, by the way!

MaryinTN said...

Hat looks fab Roo! And I love the rich color of the shift dress! But it would have been too cold to wear here today...We had the first snow of the season with wind chill temps in the teens (Fahrenheit).

Scruffybadger said...

Your knitting always inspires, but I have to gush over your latest camber dress and the colour combo and styling. NICE!

mags said...

Also love your colour combinations!

Dorothy said...

I'm intrigued by your comment that you split and dropped half a stitch but it will be easily fixed later. Can you explain? Thanks

Roobeedoo said...

Beate - no I didn't line the dress. And I don't have a slip.
So really I brought this on myself! ;)

Dorothy - I only caught three threads from the six-ply yarn. So I had half-thickness loop of loose yarn dangling in space. I have since used a scrap of yarn to pull it through to the back of the hat and weave it in securely.