Wednesday, December 04, 2013

A Week in Knitting, with Two FOs

No mitts were harmed in the making of this picture
I've been on a knitting spree this past week!
The prospect of December spurred me to finish a couple of projects so that I might free up the needles before the end of the year.
First up:  the Alicia Mitts from Hitch.
I knit the medium / large size because they are not for me (sssh!) so they look a bit baggy in this picture.  But the loose fit seems to add to their insulating quality - they felt really cosy out at the windy wood-pile.
Please note:  I did not actually pick up any logs wearing these. I brought in my stunt-man ;)
I really enjoyed knitting these:  just enough colourwork to get your teeth into and then a good chunk of plain knitting to finish off.  You could knock out a pair of these in a week, easily.  (Whisper:  it will soon be Christmas, people!)
The yarn is J C Rennie's supersoft lambswool, and I used just over half a ball of silver grey and the tiniest amounts of the other colours, which came from my mini-balls collection (Wee County Yarns).
Would I make these again?  Oh yes!  I am teetering on the verge of casting on a darker grey pair for another present, if only so that I can play with the other colours :)

Next:  a hat for brownies!
It looks like a pea on top of a dumpling on my head, but The Girl is smaller and cooler than me. 
I have told her that she owes me a batch of chocolate brownies and a photograph of her wearing it.

This is Stovetop by Tin Can Knits.
I used Debbie Bliss Cashmerino Aran and smaller needles than the pattern suggests.  In retrospect, it would have been slouchier at a slightly looser gauge, so next time I knit this I will suck it up and buy another two sets of dpns in the right sizes. 
This one has the stitch count of Adult Medium but probably came out as Small due to my tight gauge.
I love knitting cables, so this was a quick knit.
The crown shaping is absolutely unique to the pattern and I was dubious at first.  But once I saw what was happening, I realised that the designer was right - duh!  Trust Tin Can Knits to know what they are doing, Roo!
 
Finally, here is my second attempt at making a tea cosy.
You ain't seen nothin' yet...
I am using Woolly Wormhead's pattern for the Baby Jester Hat with a few minor modifications.
Those odd lumpy bits are intentional:  not-quite cables which undulate up the side before exploding on top in a riot of bells and pompoms.  And why not? :)

6 comments:

jessica said...

Very pretty mitts, and what a lovely hat! Well done!! Those mitts seem the perfect size to experiment with colors (I am taking note ... hehe)

christinelaennec said...

I adore the Alicia mitts! Hmmm.... Note to self: finish the mitts you are knitting at the moment first!!!

MaryinTN said...

Love the Alicia mitts and hat! Can't wait to see your take on the tea cosy. Have you seen Jenny Occleshaw's Tea Cosies book? There is one in there that looks like sea urchins!

Lynne said...

Those mittens are gorgeous. I love the delicate pattern on the cuffs.

acharmofmagpies said...

I am forever in awe of your knitting prowess. Amazing stuff!

Sølvi said...

Ooo, those mitts are gorgeous! They seem like just the amount of work for a fun and (relatively) fast knitting project. :-)