Tuesday, December 17, 2013

FO: Subversive Schoolgirl Camber Dress by Merchant and Mills

Today we had a round of “Secret Santa” in the office.
Remarkably, there was a high participation rate and I don’t think anyone felt let down by the elves.
I was surprised and pleased to receive a Ness tartan bird brooch, which goes perfectly with my new grey dress. I happened to be wearing the dress today for the first time – amazing!
Santa clearly knows me quite well!


You want to hear about the dress?
Of course you do!
This is my second make of the Camber Dress by Merchant and Mills.
Once again, it is Shetland flannel, this time in Grey Herringbone. The grey seems slightly fluffier than the red, but that may just be the result of my over-enthusiastic pre-washing of the fabric, after a pigeon flew past the washing line and scored a direct hit. Grrr.
The back neck facing is my favourite feature of this version. I used another scrap of jotter doodle print fabric, with which I lined the pockets of my denim Portfolio dress. There is hardly any left now – but since I only bought a fat quarter, it has certainly served me well!
Stats:
Pattern:
Merchant and Mills Camber Dress in size 8, with sleeves from a 1960’s pattern, Simplicity 6238
Fabric:
2 metres of Robert Kaufman Shetland flannel in grey herringbone, from the Eternal Maker - it looks like they have sold out of the grey now. 100% soft and fluffy cotton – deliciously warm!
Part of a fat quarter of Peace Always Michael Miller for the facing.
Other:
Satin bias binding on the inside bottom hem. Thread.
The wrinkles are easily smoothed out - honest!

Process:
I got up on Saturday morning in such a storm of unhappiness about work / careers / life, the universe and everything, that I needed instant and reliable distraction.
I was not willing to try out a new pattern in case it all went horribly wrong.
I wear my Redwood Camber dress regularly… perhaps more often than office etiquette considers appropriate!
Having bought 2 metres of grey at the same time as 2 metres of red, and with no particular plan in mind for it, this seemed like as good an idea as any other.
So… I sewed this dress.
And really, that’s all there was to it.  The same as last time.


Verdict?
This is my subversive uniform dress, in schoolgirl grey with doodles at the back where the Principal can't see them!
Heh heh heh.
I wonder how many of these dresses I will crank out before someone notices I am wearing the same thing every day...?
I'm thinking velvet next time...

PS - the cardigan is an ebay "Made in China" number that I blogged about a while ago.  Sorry to the person who asked about the pattern!

14 comments:

jessica said...

I love it! Perfect for the office but also chic weekend wear (funky, drapey layers!) Hey I was thinking - what if you did your Portfolio tunic at dress length and in a suiting or someber-esque wool plaid? Possibly work appropriate? (By somber-esque, I mean, I dunno, gray and turquoise plaid or something along those lines?) These are the things I think about when I'm standing in line at the grocery store - Roo's wardrobe! ;-). Cuz you've got more chance of execution than I do ...

beate grigutsch said...

perfect gray dress!
this dresspattern has so much possibilities for fabric and color - best buy ever!

unlabelled clothes said...

You wear it well. I like the description of a "schoolgirl grey with doodles at the back" - reminds of McQueen sewing swear words into linings in suits for Prince Charles (don't know if it's urban legend or truth), but it's a good story.

rosylea said...

It's lovely- I'm expecting the pattern imminently and am dying to have ago at creating it.

Scruffybadger said...

Perfection! I love the style on you and that you've chosen solid colours for your versions of this dress out of deliciously quality fabric must make this a real treat to wear and accessorise with...velvet seems the next progression...I agree !

madeinoxford said...

Lovely - that grey flannel really does look so warm and snuggly, and the dress suits you so well.

Funny what you say about wearing the same thing - I have two pairs of trousers (identical) that are my work 'uniform'. I wear them pretty much every day, which means that at the end of the day, I can go home, take them off and leave work behind. It also takes some of the stress out of deciding what to wear in the mornings!

cutitoutstitchitup said...

I love this dress, it looks just perfect for everyday office wear.
Also thanks for helping me find Merchant and Mills, I love perusing the site!

Rehanon Mackenzie said...

this dress is really lovely.

MaryinTN said...

Love the dress Roo!

trixiebacon said...

It's marvellous. This could be the pattern company that gets me making a dress. I like the Factory one as well. And the Trapeze. And the Dress Shirt…

Nicki said...

I love simple lines and I love grey so this dress is a win-win for me.The brooch looks super cute on it! I have to get me some of that flannel, just gorgeous.

Fabric Tragic said...

Really lovely and flattering! All the best for 2014 :)

Keithera said...

just found this. love the dress - - I've the M&M workbook and my fingers are itching to make something from it.

a question about the back neck facing - - where did you get the ribbon with the Pride and Prejudice quote? I love Jane Austen and this would be such a cool bit to have on a piece of clothing.

Roobeedoo said...

Hi there! It was from a uk based seller on Etsy called Scrapiana