Sunday, January 12, 2014

FO: Plantain by Deer & Doe

My first sewing project of 2014 is a simple garment.
"Just" a long-sleeved t-shirt.
But the simple things are often the best.
This is the new pattern from Deer and Doe, the Plantain tee. It is a free pdf, which you can print out at home, piece together with sticky tape and then either trace onto tissue paper or cut to your own size from the print-out.  I am a tracer, myself.
Here I demonstrate the USP:  elbow patches.
What do you mean you can't see them?!
 
Better?  
Hmmm... a scruffy-looking pair, they are.  I couldn't keep my straight stitch inside the lines so went for a small zig-zag.  I know better than to try and unpick visible stitching on jersey.
I must try harder next time, especially if I go for a contrasting fabric as planned.
Because there will definitely be a next time.
I cut the long-sleeved version in a straight size 38 and it is pretty much perfect.
I love the figure-skimming fit and the length is just right:  tuck-in-able even with my low-slung jeans.
The neckline is lower than I normally wear but doesn't reveal straps or upholstery.
I have some cotton/silk dobby-dot voile in the stash that will make a fab toning scarf to keep out the draught.

Stats:
Pattern:  Plantain by Deer and Doe in size 38
Fabric:  Organic cotton jersey from The Eternal Maker.  I bought 1.5m, which allowed me to cut the back and front down one side of the piece, with the sleeves side by side next to the front.  This left me with a big square of perhaps 80cm x 80cm, which will become part of a colour-blocked version sometime soon.
Other: Thread and two pieces of bias tape to support the shoulder seams on the inside.

Verdict:
Success!
Now, can I go back indoors to do some knitting please?  It is rather chilly out here!


10 comments:

Cazz said...

Love it, especially the sleeves. It really suits you. I think you need to make several in lots of colours, like purples and blues.

RooKnits said...

It looks fabulous. I can see you making lots more of these.

Ruth Wilson said...

Really like it -a stylish basic. This pattern is definitely on my list to make.

Scruffybadger said...

I love it and it's on my to make list as well....particularly because of the elbow patches....I think you've road tested it well, and can't wait to see what you make next, but in the meantime you've got yourself a useful little number.

Louise Perry said...

I need basic pieces like this. Thank you for brining the pattern to my attention. I thin your version is lovely it looks really comfy and like it will go with anything.

rosylea said...

Love the colour and shape, and the self coloured patches are stylish. I need a few of these!

Star speckles said...

Fab top, I particularly like the same-coloured elbow patches!

Lizzi said...

I love the shape of this. It is a simple top but it does have style.

Emily said...

It is lovely! I have a drawer full of long sleeve Ts but none is "just right." The cut on this one is perfect for you!

Lynne said...

Your top is lovely! You're quick off the mark in making it!