Saturday, February 01, 2014

What I Wore in January

I am conducting an experiment. This year, I am trying to record what I wear every day.
It began as an exercise in catching myself out. I say I wear home-sewn clothes most of the time - but do I really?
And when I choose shop-bought over me-made, I want to know the reason/s why.
The results are in for the first month of the year. Can I share?
There were 31 days in January, and I was at the office on 19 of them:

Ooh - that's exciting I just made a single image out of a Word document - go me! ;)

Ha ha ha ha ha!  Creature of habit, ME?!
There must be a reason why I wore my brown Chardon skirt every Monday and a Camber dress every Tuesday!
As you can see, I am a "repeater".  While I clearly made an effort to mix things up on a Monday, trying out new "Chardon skirt plus..." combinations, I reached for a Camber dress with my fair-isle yoked cardigan every single Tuesday... and on other days too!  I wore this combination on 6 days out of the 19 pictured.  As if that wasn't enough, I  wore a Camber dress with a different cardigan on a further 3 days.  So... I wore a Camber dress on 9 out of 19 days!
The Chardon skirt came out to play 5 times.
My side-buttoned Kelly skirt came out 4 times:  once a week.
The only outfit to attract comment in the workplace was this one:
Three people said I was looking very smart / coordinated that day.
This lime green cardigan (vintage, cashmere) is what I wear to posh meetings.
I have become responsible for three high-powered Capital-C Committees this term (on top of the ones I already had) and I have to make more of an effort to conform to something approaching a corporate image.
Tricky with blue hair!  But I would go nuts if I didn't retain some degree of individuality.

The other smartening device I have employed is The Silk Scarf.
I wore it on the 9th and the 13th.
This is in shameless imitation of my Boss.
Although she clearly would not be seen dead in a hand-knitted cardigan or, I quote:  "those funny little boots".
Herrumph.
Yeah... you can't see my feet in these pictures, can you?

Flat black ankle boots:  13 days
Brown cowboy boots:  3 days
Navy suede ankle boots:  3 days
 
But the thing that strikes me most about this set of pictures is that it does not show the other 13 days of the month when I was not in the office.
What did I wear?
I can answer that very easily:  jeans, long-sleeved tee, plaid shirt, staccato cardigan, hand-knit socks, shawl and my sheepskin slipper-boots.  It's what I am wearing right now.
I can't help thinking there is an imbalance here...
Thoughts?


19 comments:

Carole Mellin said...

I'm very impressed that you are making an effort to document what you wear every day. It certainly lets you know what you need to sew more of! I love your sense of color and I'll bet your outfits bring a lot of fun to the office.

ravelledsleeve said...

I love seeing pictures of what you wear. I think your work outfits are lovely and they always make me want to make more things that I can wear to work.

As for weekend outfits, I have two or three variations but they basically boil down to long-sleeved t-shirt, leggings, handknitted socks, one of three "casual" skirts, chunky handknitted cardi or Owls jumper, shawl. Warm and cosy and comfortable. And I always think that one of the nicest things about weekends is not having to think about what to wear!

Colleen said...

Such a great idea! I wish I could see closeups of each outfit but could only see four. Luckily, the wonderful green and brown outfit is one of them! I so love your Camber dresses.

beate grigutsch said...

first - thats a great collection! love your play with colors!
second - for the at home time - because i cant stand jeans i wear( home sewn) skirts which are to worn out for the city. with cosy leggings they´r much warmer too.

Laura Arhire said...

I think this is a great idea and I really like your outfits. I wouldn't worry much about individuality... These are pretty unique, especially for a corporate world!

jessica said...

Roo! Love seeing this! I think most of us wear different clothing at home vs. at work (cuz really, who would pick corporate wear if they had a choice???). More important to find ways to bring "you" elements into work dress codes :).

I notice you seem to like finding certain color pairings that make you feel good (eg brown, teal and orange, or blue/brown/oatmeal) and then riffing on those combos -- perhaps one way to make dressing easier for you is to continue to build on those foundations when you make additional garments? Sort of like the way you've now got 2-3 skirts that pair nicely with billie jean cardie. it seems you've got a couple green cardis - perhaps the basis for another set of groupings?

The green and brown outfit is quite lovely and sophisticated!

Donna Hensley said...

This is a great experiment. I tried to start up doing it again this year, to see what I *really* wear and how it looks, but I fizzled out after less than a week of taking night photos in horrible lighting. Maybe I'll start up again. ;)

Nita said...

You clearly love that camber dress, and for good reason! I would wear it nearly everyday myself! What is the pattern? I want one!

Roobeedoo said...

Nita: the pattern is "Camber" by merchant and Mills :)

Flossie in Stitches said...

I love seeing all your outfits! You have such a wonderful sense with colour.

Can I ask what pattern you used for the light (lime?) green lace shawl you are wearing towards the bottom of the post? Thanks.

Roobeedoo said...

Flossie - that is the Artio shawlette by Patricia Martin.

Flossie in Stitches said...

Thank you...I will pop over to Ravelry to have a look.

MaryinTN said...

Love the outfits and the way you express your individuality at work. I bet others wish they had enough courage to dress more like the real 'them'! Perhaps you'll start a trend. And I LOVE your boots!

Andrea said...

I think your office outfits look quite smart! And as others have said, having a totally different "at home" looks seems totally normal to me.

Like you, I also have a bit of (non-natural) color in my hair (pink/purple in my case) When I first did it over a year ago I wondered if it would be frowned upon since I work in a conservative industry (oil and gas). However, if anything it got me noticed more in a good way for the things I was already doing.

LinB said...

You seem to have developed a "home uniform," which at least relieves you from having to strain your brain after a long day at work. I think you've achieved an admirable variety of work wear ... separates are so helpful for that. I bought some hangers with extra hooks on the front, so that I can force myself to preview different blouses with different bottoms, to drag myself out of the fashion rut I've fallen into ("if it's Tuesday, it must be the purple jeans with the patchwork blouse," etc. etc.). It opens up new mental avenues to realize that the weird silk scarf given you by an important relative will actually be wearable in public, if you put the purple jeans with THAT blouse instead of THIS one.

Sarah Smithson said...

I think you should make a Chanel style jacket. Also known as a cardigan jacket they are soft rather than stiffly tailored and would replace your hand knitted cardigans for smart meetings. They are time-consuming to sew as there is a lot of hand sewing, but they probably don't take more time than a hand-knitted cardigan and you could do the hand sewing at times when you would otherwise knit. You can buy British Linton Tweed to make a jacket, and the final plus point is that your Boss will be So jealous of your gorgeous jacket.

rosylea said...

Really enjoyed this post, and am lost in admiration at your creativity.
I am now the proud owner of my very own Camber dress, shortly to become the first of several, I should think. Thanks for the pointers, inspiration and general superness of your blog!

Roobeedoo said...

Ooh Rosylea - welcome to the Camber clan! You need a blog to show it off ;)

Rehanon Mackenzie said...

Boots rock end of. You look very nice and I'm glad you're retaining style. I love wearing my map dress because it's very smart but quite clearly bonkers.