Wednesday, March 26, 2014

Knitting in the Waiting Room

This is post number two in the impromptu series:  "what I might do if I go on holiday".
Knitting!
Where would I be without it?
I have two new projects to show you.
The first is a hat for Christine.
This is Ripon by Rachel Coopey from Toasty Volume 1.
It is a project for cable lovers.
During two and a half hours in the waiting room I cranked out only 5 rows.
Really?  Oh dear, Roo, what a slacker!
But it is looking lovely.

While Ripon appeals for its complexity, my second Vintage Fremont shawl is knitting for pure relaxation.
This project is a coup de coeur.
I came home from work one evening to find FL in unusually high spirits.  Occasional unexplained chuckles burst out from behind his newspaper.  He was under the influence of neither drink nor drugs, but was giving nothing away.
Mystified, I went to get changed into my home clothes.
When I returned, there was a package lying on my chair...
It was not my birthday or any other special occasion, but FL had decided to buy me a dress.
This is unheard of!
He had consulted The Girl by text to find out my size and ordered a gorgeous, glorious impractical silk chiffon dress for "weddings and graduations and other occasions".  Oh my!
Seriously?  There were tears.
I was awake half the night planning a matching shawl... or two.
I started with the bright one.  This is Crown Mountain Farms  handspun Sock Hop in the "House of the Rising Sun" colourway.
The second one will be in Skein Queen Oasis in the "Aristocracy" colourway.

I absolutely love working on this shawl.  I have to ration myself, or it will all be gone... and then what will I do?  Oh - I know - knit another one! :)

Myeloma update:
Freelite kappa score is up to 770.
Back to the hospital in 4 weeks.


Ed?  Thanks for your comment, honey! We often think of you - it's great to hear you are doing well :)

14 comments:

Maeve said...

Any chance we could get a glimpse of this dress. I'm intrigued!! That man is a gem.

beate grigutsch said...

i had a tear in the buttonhole too!
what a lovely man! this is soooo sweet!
please show us the dress - on you of cause. please!

<3

madeinoxford said...

That's utterly adorable, and what a wonderful combination - a fabulous dress and a shawl pattern you love. And those yarn colours! So lovely <3

Sarah said...

Wow! I'm green. That is surely the Brora dress I've been gazing at longingly. Lucky, lucky you, it is the most gorgeous dress and will look fantastic on you, especially with the perfectly coordinated shawls. He's a gem.

Sarah said...

Wow! I'm green. That is surely the Brora dress I've been gazing at longingly. Lucky, lucky you, it is the most gorgeous dress and will look fantastic on you, especially with the perfectly coordinated shawls. He's a gem.

Twelfthknit said...

You have reminded me of my love of all things Crown Mountain Farms

Anna said...

After the pictures of your first shawl I tripped, bought the pattern and knit one in a weekend, still need to block it but it's lovely and turquoise.

I seem to add an awful lot of patterns you talk about to my queue though, you're a bad influence (with very good taste)!

Hope you get to wear that dress to a lot of celebrations.

Maureen said...

A special occasion is whenever you feel you want to wear the dress. The unexpected is definitely the most lovely :-)

Lynn said...

How very sweet and deeply loving of FL. You are both very lucky to have one another.

threadtension said...

How unbearably lovely of him! What I love almost as much as the dress is how pleased he seemed to be to give it to you.

rosylea said...

Heartwarming stuff...do show us the lovely frock! And I really like the new hat, it's going to be very pretty.

Rehanon Mackenzie said...

So lovely :) This made me well up. people are amazing. That shawl is beautiful.

Donna Hensley said...

Beautiful yarn - I can only imagine how gorgeous the dress that inspired it must be!

Jan Hicks said...

Hey Roo - how sweet of FL - you should post a picture of the dress. I love your Vintage Freemont - the colours are glorious. Your first one inspired me to make one and I agree it is a relaxing project. I have a picture of the work in progress on my blog ( superstitchery.blogspot.co.uk) and am already planning my next one.