Sunday, April 06, 2014

A Finishing-Off Day

 
I was rather ambitious when I packed for my holiday...
Did I really think I could work my way through all these books?
Today I hope to finish reading Romany and Tom and The Road to Middlemarch.
The end is nigh for both of these.
Romany and Tom is desperately sad reading:  Ben Watt recounts his parents' lives from the perspective of their final years.  Possibly not the best choice of book at this point in my life with FL.  But it has given me plenty to think about.  Just don't get old - that's the answer kids!
The Road to Middlemarch is a lighter read but again is all about age and the stages of a person's life, set against the perspective of George Eliot's  novel, which I love.
Phew!  I don't half pick 'em!
Next?  Probably Rachel Herron's latest:  Pack Up The Moon.  For a bit of light relief.

But right now I have a dress to work on.

I am rather grumpy to notice that the lightest-grey cat on the right has fallen out of alignment and you can see his whole head below the waistband:  all the others have their heads tucked under.
How did this happen?  I was absolutely meticulous with my cutting, so perhaps my stitching is off.
I shall investigate.  I am not saying I will unpick it... but I feel the need to check it out.
I just have the facings to stitch down and the hem to sew.
I still can't decide whether or not to line the skirt section.  It is pretty heavy cotton so may not need it.  I will have to experiment with tights.  I can't stand dresses that creep up my legs as I walk.

See that jug in the photo?
It lives in the holiday house.  I was so tempted to ask the owner if I could buy it from her.  I know that it is "collectable" and I found it in the depths of a cupboard, obviously ignored and unloved.  Every time we go to this house (4 times now?), it is the first thing I look for.  This time, thinking we would never be back there again, I developed an obsession about "rescuing" it.
But in the end, I managed to let it go.
I don't do "stuff". 
I don't need a jug.
It belongs there.
Move on, Roo!



15 comments:

Miss said...

the jug is cute!
the dress is wonderful!

Sarah said...

I love your dress - the choice of pattern and fabric is lovely. You are such an inspiration - I've found so many patterns on your site, both knitting and sewing that I want to go out and instantly make. Thank you for your lovely blog. x

Prawn said...

The jug is great - it's an Arabia Finland jug - you sometimes see them on ebay. They come in a range of colours. One on ebay now in blue at the moment....
Dress looks great too!

opakowana said...

The dress is super! If you didn't tell the world about the cat's head, I wouldn't have noticed! And probably nobody will!
as for the jug....I would have asked to buy it and then part with something I have at home. Maybe ;)

maevesshed said...

I donno. maybe you should ask about the jug. if they refuse to part with it fair enough but then again always a good excuse to return!

rosylea said...

I admire both your frock and your restraint. I would have found it hard to step away from the jug!

didyoumakethat.com said...

That dress is looking absolutely fantastic and I love the fabric choice! I'm so happy to go back to your quiet retreat with you.

Twelfthknit said...

Lovely dress.

Re the lining- how would you go about it? I am thinkin gf lining a skirt which I am making. It has some box pleats. Should on make an exact copy of the skit, pleats and all? or make something sotr of loose and gathered?

Josie said...

I would honestly not have noticed, I think the dress is absolutely stunning. I love it!

Siga said...

The dress is amazing and very good for resisting the cup. I'm all about downsizing lately and encourage it in everyone.

jessica said...

Doooooon't unpick!!! DOOOON'T UNPICK!!! It's not noticeable at all - you've got better ways to spend your time :-). And haha, good for you for passing up the cat cup. Although it IS rather wonderful, I understand the temptation entirely. But yes, starting to get better about pruning and then not picking up new stuff, and it feels really good, as you say!

Lynn Barnes said...

To prevent your skirt, or slip, or trews, from walking up your legs when wearing tights or pantyhose: Apply a generous amount of hand lotion to your hands, and rub it all over your tight-wearing legs. This knocks out the static electricity charge that accumulates on the nylon in the tights/hosiery, which is what causes other garment fabrics to climb upward when you are wearing leg coverings. I was dubious the first time I tried this apparently ancient tip for fixing crawling underwear, but it works amazingly well. Love the cat dress.

dovegreyreader said...

I think you should read Tessa Hadley's Clever Girl next, because a) you are really really clever and b) I really enjoyed reading it too:-)
That dress is beautiful and leave that cat well alone, only God's work should be perfect, as we say in quilt-making, and that dress is nigh on bar a cat's head.
Love NBF xx

Roobeedoo said...

TwelfthKnit - I have not solved the mystery of lining a box pleated skirt. It can get too bulky to do a direct copy. The best effort I have made so far involved laying the finished skirt on top of the lining, fanning it out as far as possible and cutting the lining to that shape. But it is not perfect. I didn't line my dress in the end.

Roobeedoo said...

Dovegreyreader - I left the cat alone! And thanks for the recommendation - I might read that one next as you suggest :)