Monday, April 28, 2014

Summer Work Top Plans


I had a little fabric splurge.
Recent stash-busting activity has left me with very little office-appropriate fabric to play with. I have the ingredients for a black skirt and a grey skirt and possibly a leftover-plum-wool skirt, but that's about it.
So I decided that it was about time I made some minor investments:  a Re-Stash, if you like!
Tops by Anna McClurg, $130 each - beautiful!
My inspiration began on Anna McClurg's blog.   Her simple sleeveless shirts in understated fabrics strike me as perfect for summer work-wear, with a cardigan on top.
Of course, I am not terribly good at "understated" so the plan... mutated.
My splurge involved 1950's strawberries, Snow White's apples, Cosmic Blue, rainbow stripes... and sober white.
Note that last one: sober white.
See? I can do it when I try!

I have a 1960's Simplicity shirt pattern that I want to try out.
It is the same size and from the same era as my Raindrops on Roses top, so I am hoping that it fits as well.
I had earmarked the rainbow-striped cotton for my first attempt, but it turned out to be much narrower than I thought and I can't squeeze a blouse out of my single metre, not even with a plain white collar.  So I am back to the drawing board.
Or should that be the ironing board?

Yay!  I finally bought myself a proper solid, beech wood ironing board :)
It is incredibly sturdy and ominously heavy.  I still have to perfect the art of putting it up without falling over under its weight.
The old one was so flimsy it bounced while I ironed, and the dog knocked it over as he barged past.  It was made of wire mesh, covered in crumbling yellow foam and hole-ridden polyester.  I used to iron on top of a towel to protect my clothes. The final straw was when the edge of my iron slid off the towel and caught the foam, which instantly melted and spread across the blouse I was ironing.  Grrrrr.....
Tonight I made use of that lovely smooth wooden surface to lay out my fabric and play with my pattern pieces.  Very satisfying, if unproductive.
Maybe my first job should be to make an ironing board cover.  What a shame there isn't enough of the rainbow striped cotton!

11 comments:

christinelaennec said...

I'm in awe of you making an ironing-board cover. Is there anything you cannot sew, Roobeedoo?! I wouldn't have been surprised if you'd told us you'd made the ironing board as well.

I love the - what do you call it - dimity? The white fabric with bobbles on it... My brain has gone to sleep already, obviously...

colesworth said...

awesome shirt pattern (especially with those fabric selections ;o)

jessica said...

I like the sound of how this is shaping up!

Sarahel said...

I resorted to making an ironing board cover last week. I replaced my grandmother's ancient very heavy metal board a year ago because I was needing to move it around more. Modern ones sure are flimsy as well as light in comparison. A year of use had shredded the thin poly mix cover and I was sick of the thin foam. So I used old fraying towels to replace the foam and made a cover to hold them in place. Your new board is a thing of beauty, and a suitable background for your fabrics. They'll look great in that pattern.

Helen said...

I have that pattern - haven't yet made it though, so will be interested to see how you get on with it. It would be cute in any of your fabrics.

Isabella said...

Get one of the reflective silver type of ironing board covers, they reflect the heat back up into the fabric and makes ironing faster and more effective. Fabric ironing board covers look prettier but they don't do such a good job.

sewingslowly said...

I know where you've been shopping! (I have some of the Cosmic Blue too)

sewstyled said...

Where does one get such a nice and large iron board like yours? Do tell.

Roobeedoo said...

Sewstyled - the ironing board is from Garden Trading. Yes, it was expensive, but I think of it as a table... which it is!

Susan_in_Peckham said...

Hmm those blouses are a lovely shape/fabric combo. I wonder whether it might be possible to convert the Sorbetto pattern to have buttons up the front instead of that centred pleat? The neckline is a little different but I might give it a go! Thank you for passing on the inspiration :)

Cazz said...

I love the black fabric. My favourite fabrics are dark background with funky lighter designs on it. Hence I also loved your cats fabric.
Looking forward to seeing some blouses.