Monday, July 07, 2014

FO: Robe Alexia from Un Ete Couture

 I needed to kick-start my sewing mojo - and what better to do than make an easy-going shift dress!
There is something 80's going on in these photographs... maybe it's the hair / baggy dress / leggings ensemble?

 But if I turn this way, it could almost be the 1920's? Or the 1960's?
Either of which makes sense, since those are my granny's glass beads :)
But let's not quibble about the era, because this is such a simple style that it doesn't really have a best-before date.

 Stats:
Pattern:  Robe Alexia from the book Un Ete Couture by Geraldine Debeauvais, the designer behind Republique Du Chiffon (RDC).  I made size Small and it is just right.

Fabric:  2 metres of Nani Iro Japanese double gauze in the Pierre Pocho Fortune Stones design, from Guthrie and Ghani, £9.10 per half metre.  I did not realise how narrow this fabric was until I tried to lay out my pattern pieces and discovered I had to cut the sleeves sideways.  I got away with it, but I need to pay more attention to the width when I am buying fabric online.  

Process:  The pattern is recommended for "grandes debutantes", absolute beginners, and that is a good assessment.
There is nothing tricky here at all:  no darts, no fastenings, no awkward facings.
It would be a great choice for experiments with an awkward fabric.
The double gauze behaved fairly well, but I would not want to use it for anything with narrow pleats or tucks as it can be quite stretchy.
You definitely need to stay-stitch your neck.
Speaking of which... that's what drew me to this pattern:  the neckline.

It fits perfectly across my shoulders, with no strap exposure and no gaping at the back or the front.

Verdict?
I hesitate to say this.. but I think I like it even better than my Camber dresses - gasp!
It was easier to make and I really love the wider neck.
It is also more of an a-line, so has a little more movement to it.
I am wearing it with leggings here, but it would be instantly more "dressed-up" worn with tights and some pointy shoes.
So... another successful sew from Un Ete Couture - this book was definitely worth every penny!

13 comments:

beate grigutsch said...

just beautiful roo!!!!
is´n it gorgeous to find a pattern which fit the body and needs and is easy to sew - and serves the fabrics we love??!!
xx

Emma said...

I love the fabric! Green spots. Fabulous! It's the perfect dress to show it off. You are right about the neckline. Very flattering on you. Frames your face and fab new hair cut beautifully.
Make more! :0)

Jenni said...

Loving your hair and your dress, looking good Roo ;-)

Jen Forsythe said...


The colours of that fabric are lovely on you, great hairstyle too. Looks a very comfortable, easy to wear dress. Love those types of patterns.

Kirsty said...

Love this! The fabric is perfect for the simple dress. Geraldine has become my favourite designer.

colesworth said...

Great match of pattern to fabric, really suits you ;o)

PaisleyPirouette said...

This dress fits you just perfectly. I love the fabric. Is it draping well? Greetings from Germany, SaSa

verykerryberry said...

Lovely combo of dress and fabric and a great style for double gauze too

dottiedoodle said...

The most beautiful fabric, and the dress shows it off to perfection.

Christy said...

I love the fabric. Shift dresses suite any age, size and shape.

Love shift dresses.

purlgurl said...

Love the dress--your projects from this book inspired me to order my own copy, and I can't wait to get started (once I brush off my high school French).

pennylibrarian said...

I love this on you, can we also have a moment for the matching shoes? Fabulous!

Roobeedoo said...

Thank you everyone! I wore it to work today and not a word was said... but that's probably a good thing ;)

SaSa in Germany - yes the fabric drapes beautifully.