Tuesday, July 01, 2014

FO: Vintage Fremont Laceweight Shawl

 Stats:
Pattern:  Vintage Fremont by Jami Brynildson
Yarn:  75g of a 100g skein of PoshYarn Miranda:  70% alpaca, 20% silk, 10% cashmere (875 yards per 100g) in the colour "Gale Force"
Needles:  4 mm, US size 6
Finished dimensions:  2.5 metres along the pointy bind-off edge, 1.1 metres along the lace-wedge edge.  So... if I had used the whole skein, it would have been a quarter as big again..?!  This one has 25 lace wedge repeats.

The colour is impossible to capture.
In some lights it is silver, while in others it is a deep rich teal with flashes of cerise.
The fabric is fragile, with a slight halo from the alpaca and a sheen from the silk.
Even though it is so light that the wind catches it and lifts its edges, it feels warm and comforting.
It is the sort of shawl that I will wear and wear until it falls apart.
And I imagine I will keep on wearing it, even when it is in tatters.

How many more times will I reach for this pattern, I wonder?

14 comments:

Lorna A said...

Simply beautiful. X

Ruth Wilson said...

This is really beautiful, and what an amazing colour!

verykerryberry said...

Wow, that is lovely, I can see such subtleties in the colour too!

Wakeymakes said...

Stunning xXx

flossieft said...

I love it...I really want to knit one. You are my knitting inspiration

Cherie said...

So lovely & delicate, you are awesome!

Linda C said...

How very very lovely! Wear it in good health, as one of my very most favorite co-workers ever, used to say to me..

LindaC

Linda C said...

Just wanted to say my specil ed son just walked by and I had enlarged the pictures to see the details. He said, "Oh, look, Mom, it's a princess!" So you are a princess - be regal.

LindaC.

Sew little time said...

Wow. Stunning shawl roo. I love that colour!

dottiedoodle said...

Beautiful, and that yarn is amazing.

sewingslowly said...

A beautiful shawl and beautiful photos. You look ethereal.

Lynne said...

This is absolutely gorgeous!

Sarahel said...

So so beautiful. That first photo of you and the shawl has a most lovely quality.

christinelaennec said...

The colour is incredible in the sun - and clearly it's the perfect shawl for you!