Wednesday, September 10, 2014

FO: Cranford Mitts by Jane Lithgow (and Myeloma)

This is a story of my evolution as a knitter.
When the Cranford Mitts pattern first came out, I failed to knit them.
All my best knitting friends were churning them out, pair after pair, as gifts and for themselves in every colour you can imagine and then some.
Me?
I got stuck right at the beginning:  "Work 7 rows garter stitch commencing with a purl row".
Eh?
Garter stitch?  But surely that means every row is "knit"?
I checked with my mother, and she agreed - yes, every row is a knit row in garter stitch.
So that was that.
But several years later, with a drawer full of socks to show for all knitting that has passed through my hands since then, I now understand.
Garter stitch is only knit on every row if you are working backwards and forwards on a flat piece of fabric.
If you are going round and round on dpns, every second row is purl.
Well duh!
My mother would not have known this because she doesn't knit in the round very often.
And I don't know why it didn't occur to me to ask anyone else... like one of those other knitters...?!

Stats:
Pattern:  Cranford Mitts by Jane Lithgow, a p-hop pattern.
Yarn:  Lorna's Laces Shepherd Sock in the Hula Kolili colourway - much less than 50g, but I am too lazy to weigh them.
Verdict?  A quick and fun knit - I can see why all those other knitters have knit so many pairs!
These were rustled up in various waiting situations on holiday and back home.
This year's Cherry Crop - yes, one each!
Quick Myeloma Update:
Despite an alarming pain episode while we were on holiday, FL is doing OK.
We were back at the hospital yesterday and the doctor prescribed another month of Pomalidomide, but asked him to monitor his symptoms more closely.
She thought it could be a build-up of either the chemo or the steroids that is causing his pain on week 3 of each cycle.  (He gets a week off on week 4.)   If it persists, we need to weigh up the pros and cons of myeloma-zapping versus incapacitating pain.
Walking is becoming more difficult.
Driving is manageable only on familiar roads with minimal traffic.  But he desperately wants to retain the independence it gives him.  It's hard.

8 comments:

Jennifer Hill said...

Aaeerhhh? May need to think about that one, but then I haven't knit on dpns yet either. I'm sure it will make perfect sense when I do, so thanks, as I do intend to start glove knitting. Your husband looks well; I'm sorry to hear about the awful pain. Hope he can keep on driving for as long as he wants, if that's possible. All the best, Jen

Mary Danielson said...

Those mitts are absolutely beautiful, Roo! And all the technical aspects remind me that I should definitely finish that darn Craftsy knitting class, so I know what they mean. ;)

Sending very good thoughts to you and FL, as well. I'm so sorry to hear about the Week 3 side effects he's experience. It can be difficult to do anything with that level of pain. I'll have my fingers crossed that it lessens for him, this cycle.

velosewer said...

Sounds like FL has a very caring doctor.

Lynn Barnes said...

Me, I'd go for controlling the incapacitating pain, but then I am a coward that way.

I live in a basically very warm to hot climate, with only about 60 days a year when I bother to wear mittens, scarf, and hat against the chill of winter. Thus, I've never understood the attraction of half-mitts. Do they truly make that much difference in your life? So many bloggers in northern climes post photo after photo of lovely mitts ... I also do not understand the appeal of sleeveless turtleneck sweaters.

CarolS said...

Yes to pain relief, not cowardly either. But a fuzzy brain can be aggravating if the pain relief is over strong. Tricky.
Half mitts mean you can still extract change from your purse (or your ticket for the bus). If the half mitten is loose-ish you can pull them up over finger tips to keep them warm in icy weather. Sleeveless turtlenecks are useful for layering. It's a question of thickness of fabric and armhole size!
I was (unfairly) amused at woolly layers being piled on at the beginning of winter in Sydney while I was still happily wearing my cotton clothing.
All love and strength to you and FL Roobeedoo.

Lynn Barnes said...

Thanks, CarolS! I not only live in a hot, damp place, but am of a time of life in which I sometimes wish I could not only strip down to my skin to cool off, but could also strip off my skin.

It does save on the furnace bills, come January.

Probably Jane said...

I'm so glad you enjoyed knitting the Cranford Mitts, Roo. They look beautiful. I hope I have become a better pattern writer and explain things a little more thoroughly now! It's lovely how we all continue to build on our skills as a community.

Wishing sunny and pain free days to you both. mxx

Scruffybadger said...

I never feel my words can ever help, but hope you feel all sorts of support far and wide. I can appreciate your mitts though! and love the thought that you used to be a learner and get confused by knitting patterns too!