Tuesday, September 30, 2014

FO: The Neon Mirrorball Cowl

Goodness me!  My last post clearly struck a chord with many of you - thank you so much for all those amazing comments :)
If you haven't gone back to see what other people have written, please do - there are some very wise / funny / honest words in there.  I would sum them up as:  be yourself, dress in all the colours of the rainbow, and sod the lot of 'em :)
Oh...OK then!
Is this bright enough for you?
I have not adjusted the colour of these photographs.
Apologies if I set off a migraine aura ;)
I'm not entirely sure how best to wear a cowl.
This one is 150cm by 16cm.
 It is lovely and warm folded over and worn double-crossed.

 Or just the right size to share with someone special :)

Sartorial issues aside, I love it as a textile.
It starts off with neon dots that transition across to indigo dots.
The overall effect is rather like the dazzle of a disco mirrorball.

 In fact, I think it has its own theme tune... something like the music at the start of the Revelations of a Delusional Knitter podcast (go and listen - seriously, I hear that music every time I look at this fabric!)
Stats:

Pattern:  The Mirrored Linen Stitch Cowl by Joy McMillan (the Knitting Goddess herself)

Yarn:  100g of Lioness Arts MCN DK in the colour Picking Violets, set against 6-ply Regia Fluromania (that's the sportweight version) - I still have loads of the Regia left because it was a 150g ball.

Needles:  I used 5mm (smaller than called for) to compensate for the lighter-weight Regia.  I got gauge in terms of rows, but it came out bigger in terms of width around the circular needle, which translates to a longer loop of knitting.  I might try blocking it, as it is a little bit wibbley wobbley at the cast on edge.

Process:  A lot of knitting, but a whole lot of fun too!  I was fascinated to see what would happen next as the neon colours progressed.

Verdict?:  The loudest thing I have ever knitted.  It would be shocking worn against my orange coat.
Tempting, very tempting!

16 comments:

Tamsin said...

Wow thats amazing! I love the close up that shows the stitched. I hope you have great fun wearing it!

Ingrid K. said...

Hi Roo!

This is absolutely fantastic! I totally love it!!!! I hope you get to wear it lots and lots, or share it with FL!!! :) (Nice pic!)

The colours are so vivid (I must find some of this yarn!!) and your linen stitch rocks!!!

Well done! (If in doubt, team up with the Dinosaurs socks - but I guess you gave them as a present, so maybe time to knit some matching socks (with the leftover yarn)????

Ingrid xx
http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

beate grigutsch said...

aww - that pic of you and FL!!!!!! love!

the cowl is fantastic! please wear it with the orange coat and make a photo!
really like your hair!

xx

Sarahel said...

LOVE the pic of the two of you and your cowl, which is really lovely in its own right. I think the pattern and the yarns are a perfect match. Just what's needed to brighten and warm the winter.

madeinoxford said...

That is AWESOME. I stopped making cowls because I found I prefer scarves/shawls, but I like your wearing solutions (especially for two, d'awwww :))

Love the colours together. I don't think there's any such thing as too much colour - if you're going to do it, might as well do it properly!

Susie Hewer said...

The older I get, the brighter the colours I seem to choose. Looks fab!

Kestrel said...

Wow, that looks amazing - I hope you enjoy wearing it, I bet you will. Love the picture of you and FL too - I'm not really a cowl person as I don't know how to wear them either but I think you've sorted it :)

verykerryberry said...

I missed that last post, it was a really interesting read as were the comments- and also fascinating to see a lot of comments and strong feelings. I am mid forties, I don't care about rules, but I do find the indie pattern world very focused on young dressmakers and not thinking over 30, 40, 50 and so on. Liesl is the only designer who has produced some patterns that aren't super short or super dressy and have a little classic wearability without being frumpy or formal and still a little playful. And a great cowl!

ravelledsleeve said...

That's gorgeous, and very "you"!

CarolS said...

Fabulous, especially love the photo of you both. Well knitted. Wear it loads.

tingledfangers said...

when you say "shocking" you mean "wonderful" don't you? I love that cowl. Just the blast of colour you need in the middle of dreary, grey wintry weather.

ambermog said...

Wow that is perfect for winter love ins with FL;)

Lucy said...

That picture of you and FL is simply wonderful :-)

LLBB said...

Awesome colors! And I love the pic of it wrapped around the two of you!!

Mela R. said...

What a lovely picture of you and FL! He looks great!

Miss said...

LOVE the cowl - it's as great as it promised to be in the first photo you showed us.
Most of all, I love the pic of you and FL in the cowl together. That is the loveliest pic I've seen in ages.
Blessings.