Sunday, September 21, 2014

Marching on Mallows

Have you heard the expression:  "Don't harsh my mellow"?  I assume that it's alliteration on the theme of marshmallows, so let's improvise a little.  This week I have mostly been Marching on Mallows:  keeping up a regular bouncing pace for fear that if I stop moving, I will sink into a sticky mess of self-indulgence.
I have thrown wool at the problem :)
If in doubt, keep Knitting.
First up:  the Big Red Doily, aka the Old World Blanket in Cascade Eco +
There is a disconcerting issue of scale in the above photograph.
That ball is actually as big as my head.
I am on Row 96 and have just joined the second skein of yarn.  There are too many stitches to fit the cable of my circular needle, so I tried using two circular needles, but it is too awkward.  I have ordered a 200cm-long cable.
Meanwhile...
The first Woodcutter's Sock is looked darned fine, if I say so myself.  I should finish this today.
It took me a while to get used to the braided cable, and by that point, the broken rib had kicked in - don't worry I am talking about knitted ribs!
There is plenty of interest in this pattern to keep me going.  However, I find the colour hard to see in artificial light...
...so I cast on the Inge Sock from my latest Knitting Goddess / Rachel Coopey sock club shipment.
That blue is hard to capture - it is the colour of a Mediterranean sky.
My tension is all over the place, as I keep getting my needles in a muddle.
I think I need to redistribute the stitches across 3, instead of knitting across 4 dpns and then bringing a 5th into the mix to work the travelling stitches.
It's like a sword fight every time I pick it up.
Consequently...
I have this crazy plan to set everything else aside to knit Joy McMillan's Mirrored Linen Stitch cowl out of this unlikely combination of yarns.
I had been looking for a pattern to show off the Fluormania, and I was initially thinking of somehow contrasting it with black and probably making thick wintery socks.
But then I had a stash-dive and found this premium hand-dyed MCN from Lioness Arts - gorgeous! So flipping gorgeous I have been afraid to use it.
Tsk.

In other news, I have been playing Hide and Seek with the calves from next door.
Rather like sheep, if one decides to break through the fence, all the others follow.
We had six of them staring in the farmhouse window the other evening.

Sewing?  Nope.  But I have ordered Gertie's new book on Sewing Vintage Casual Sportswear after hearing a very positive review on the Knitmore Girls podcast.  I look forward to seeing some sew-ists review the book, but it seems to be oddly quiet out there.

And have you seen the new Moomin Embroidery patterns?  I love the knitting Snorkmaiden - she would be great on a project bag!

FL?  He has moved onto his higher-dose painkillers this weekend.  I am not feeling optimistic.

23 comments:

christineburns2013 said...

I love reading your blog and admire so much the courage and wit you show in the post painful of circumstances. Keep those colours going. Christine

Lorna A said...

Sorry to hear about FL. I wish I could work out how to knit socks. I get to the heel and give up.lol

Mairead Hardy said...

When times are tough, knitting always helps. Thinking of you.

dottiedoodle said...

My thoughts are with you both. xx. I've been wondering about Gertie's book, it has seemed quiet. Will be interested to hear what you think.

rosylea said...

Knitting is a solver of many problems, sometimes, I feel, by providing its own very individual and perplexing ones.

My best wishes to you both in this trying time.

K.Line said...

I'm giving your husband the strongest vibes I have for pain diminshment! And I'm giving you strong vibes to keep anxiety at bay. xoxo

Lynn said...

I think of you often. You are brave beyond measure, you keep going and planning and working even when things are not hopeful. I wish you peace.

MaryinTN said...

Thinking of you and FL. Your courage in the face of MM is amazing and inspirational

Sandy said...

Sending you and FL some of our late Autumn Washington sunshine and warmth (energy) along with distance Reiki... Just finished listening to "State of Wonder" by Anne Paggett (sp?) which was all about scientists in the Amazon... very rich in color, description, plot and action!!! Might be something to enjoy later...

madeinoxford said...

Generally speaking, throwing wool at problems is usually a good plan. It is warm and snuggly and good for getting tangled up in. Your projects look awesome, and while the combination might be unlikely, I think the fluormania will look great against the dark blue.

Sending you love from oxford <3

Jenni said...

loving the colours in your knitting, have Gertie's book on my Xmas list, fingers crossed FL's pain killers work xx

ambermog said...

Thinking of you both as always and sending positive vibes and healing thoughts. Loving the knitting choices. Have queued the cowl as I do have rather a lot of balls of the fluormania yarn in stash. Some has made it to socks but lots remains. Love to you both and enjoy the knitting

Twelfthknit said...

Sorry to hear FL is in more pain. I hope the medics can support him and thT you are able to get support too

poppyinstitches said...

love the idea of marching on marshmallows - bouncing along on pink and white fluffy clouds! Do hope all well with and yours x

Ingrid K. said...

Hi! Thanks for sharing all your lovely knitting projects, I love all your yarn choices, so pretty!
All the best to FL!
Ingrid xx
http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

pennylibrarian said...

No! I had not seen the MOOMIN EMBROIDERY PATTERNS. Sorry to shout in such excitement, but you know, Moomins. I'd like some hattifatteners and a Hemulen and, and I might just have to go and have a lie down after all that excitement.

By the by, your posts don't always seem to come up in my reader - I suspect Wordpress give other Wordpress blogs precidence - is that cynical and paranoid? Probably, anyways, I'd just like to say that I love how you write about what you are working on, what you start and what you finish and I particularly like how it all fits into your life and the rhythm of the landscape around you.

Catherine Cottingham said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Catherine Cottingham said...

Hello, I read your blog often but have never left a comment before. 'Marching on mallows' is now in my lexicon as a useful analogy! I love your blog and your creations; today though, I want to say how much I am thinking of you and FL. I admire your courage and perseverance at this difficult time.
With the very best of wishes
Cat

Carmen Bouchard said...

I just read a comment you left at Kestrel's. I want to be on the record saying this.
I care immensly about your socks. And you and your husband and your kids. I don't mind that you don't always sew.
I've been reading you for years, I want to know how you are doing, life is tough for you and FL and I care. Just saying.
Love,
C

Unknown said...

Hi Ruth,

I lost track of you when you switched blogs, was so diconcerted and then here you are. So glad you are back...for your knitting and your upbeat-ness and for all the pictures of Aberdeenshire!

Scruffybadger said...

I am as ever in awe of your knitting prowess and courage ( both knitting and in life!) I love your massive mallow and the blue is beautiful.....but most of all I am intrigued by your vision for the fluorescent.......keep knitting and look forward to hearing your thoughts on the new Gertie book...

JustSew Jenna said...

I have been reading your blog for a very long time and hardly ever comment, which I am sorry for. My thoughts are with you and FL and I hope the knitting is keeping you sane! I am in awe of your knitting skills!

Ruth Wilson said...

I have the new gertie book. I think it's better than her first one. More wearable items, and lots of pattern variations.