Sunday, October 19, 2014

FO: Paros Hat from Knitscene Winter 2014



Welcome to today's edition of "You know it's autumn when Roo knits hats".
This was not supposed to happen.
I was meant to be concentrating on The Big Red Doily.
Instead I knitted a beehive.
Or a honey pot?
FL says it is a Thai temple.  Nah!

Being autumn, the sunshine and shadows played havoc with my attempts to take pictures in Nature.

So here is the traditional window-sill shot, which fails to capture the shape or the colour contrast of the pastel rainbow against the tweedy beige base yarn. But does a pretty good job on the texture of that spiralling stripe of purls.
Stats:
Pattern:  Paros Hat by Robin Allen from Knitscene Winter 2014
Yarn:  50g of Berrocco Blackstone Tweed (65% wool, 25% superkid mohair, 10% angora) in colour 2602, with some Cyborg's Craftroom Bested base worsted in the Sidewalk Chalk colourway, leftover from my Ertebolle Hat (not yet blocked or blogged).
Needles:  3.75mm and 4mm dpns
Button:  Ceramic rainbow, a gift from my friend Christine.  Thank you again!

 Have you seen my spiral?
There is no subtle way to photograph this!
I cast on yesterday.
I was supposed to be looking out the Blackstone Tweed from the stash to make this same pattern with a stripe of my first-ever handspun.  But the handspun is still drying after its twist-setting bath, so when I came across the remains of this Sidewalk Chalk.... zoom zoom!
I really enjoyed knitting this:  quick, easy, satisfying.
The stripes propelled me onwards until there seemed no point in stopping.
My only mistake was at the beginning, when I tried to twist the main and contrast yarns together at the beginning / end of each row.
This looked quite unsightly on the right side... hence the rainbow button feature!
Crikey - it looks even worse than I remembered!
I must have had my eyes shut!
But I am really pleased with the finished hat:  stash-busting of the very best kind!

7 comments:

Twelfthknit said...

lovely

Twelfthknit said...

lovely

Twelfthknit said...

Hi Ruth

I bought the current Knitscene edition but cannot for the life of me find this pattern. Can you tell me which page it is on? I feel daft but have been through the magazine, looked on Rav but can't find the darn thing.

Thanks :0)

Roobeedoo said...

Hi there - it is the pattern next to Kristin Orme's cardigan in the marled yarn section. I don't have the mag to hand but I think it is around page 58?

Twelfthknit said...

Thanks!

Twelfthknit said...

sigh. I had bought the wrong flaming edition! But to add to the fun, there is a pattern by the same designer on that page in the Fall Edition. I thought I was losing my mind!

madeinoxford said...

Hat! I am on a real hat-pattern-hunt at the moment, although I'm going to struggle to knit with one yarn, let alone two :) I love yours, though - that pattern looks so clever, and the colours are great together. Fab!

(I am also in awe of your hat-photography skills...see upcoming blog post!)