Saturday, October 25, 2014

FO: Woodcutter's Socks (An Enchanted Knit)

 FL's Christmas socks are finished.
These are the Woodcutter's Socks by Rachel Coopey from Enchanted Knits, an Interweave magazine.
I used Dublin Dye Co Swing Sock yarn in the Stone Wall colourway.
My drystane dyke is not the same colour as they are in Dublin, clearly!
It is a beautiful pattern, with a double braided cable on the outside of each foot, and broken rib around the leg and down into the foot.
The yarn is a subtle blend of spiralling dyes - there are greys and pinks and mauves and browns in here, all in similar tones so they don't distract from the stitch pattern at all.
I just clicked through to the dyer's Etsy shop to create my link and ought to warn you about some highly tempting colourways to be found there.
OMG Library!
Not to mention Sea Shell...
 Ahem.  Sorry.
Of course, as soon as I finished those socks, instead of getting on with my Big Red Doily (aka the blanket I think I am going to have finished for Christmas hahahaha maybe not!), I cast on another pair.
On the face of it, these are a simple 2x2 rib in self-striping yarn (Online Supersocke 100 in Paradise Color 1437).
But I am using the Optio pattern, which has triangular heel shaping.
Intriguing!
And as you can see, my copy of Felicity Ford's Knitsonik book arrived today.
How long do you give me before I start a new colourwork project?
Especially with all the autumnal inspiration on  my doorstep.
This afternoon I went out seed-collecting.
I was determined to harvest some of those mysterious poppies that popped up in the field this summer.
And while I was at it, I gathered some seed heads from the marigolds in my herb garden. I sent some of these to Christine last year, and their cousins are now growing strong in Glasgow :)
What shall I do now?
Some spinning?
I have had a go at spinning some Mixed Jacob fibre on my Turkish spindle, with mixed results.
It is pretty chunky!
Dreadlocks, anyone?
I think I will go back to my sock.
And brew a pot of Bella Granata Pomegranate Fruit Tisane from a recent tea-splurge.
Bliss!

8 comments:

christinelaennec said...

The woodcutter's socks are a work of art. And thank you again for the marigold seeds. Fabulous flowers! I now have a next generation coming up in the garden already - very optimistic of them, but then they are an optimistic flower.

madeinoxford said...

Such a lovely collection of pictures :) It's sunny here today and I can feel the autumn sunshine coming through my screen as well!

Those socks are great, and oh my, a new (to me) yarn dyer. so pretty - I'm not sure I should be thanking you for those links! Lovely :)

Miss said...

What a lovely post, so much beauty and goodness.

May I ask, have you been a sock-knitter for a very long time? How did you learn? I haven't made socks... and must say I haven't attempted complex patterns either. I'm an unadventurous knitter. Can you recommend a book to learn sock knitting? Youtube videos Perhaps?
Warm wishes

Roobeedoo said...

Hello Miss! I knitted my first pair of socks in 2006-7. I had tried before maybe ten years earlier and failed as I did not like knitting in the round. But once it clicked, I was off! I would recommend knitting a hat on dpns before trying socks, and then just get hold of a simple sock pattern (there are hundreds on ravelry) and give it a try. It is definitely all about practice.

CarolS said...

I am such a failure at knitting in the round, BUT sock knitting is my current project - after I've mastered frilly scarf making (when I learned it was easy to make one in one go I decided to make lots for Christmas only to make mistake after mistake, I'm honestly on my 5th attempt at my first one now), so your advice here is timely. Thank you.

CarolS said...

PS sat up until 2am last night and finally cracked it, 7th go!. 1st one done, washed today, 2nd on needles tonight half way through and determined to complete it tomorrow then to experiment with circular needles and a child's hat....
PPS it was putting corks on the end of the needles to stop the stitches slipping off backwards that helped.

Roobeedoo said...

Carol S - congratulations!!! You go girl! :)

CarolS said...

Thank you and 'go girl' you XX