Thursday, November 20, 2014

So This is Fifty

Shameless knitter in the workplace
So... here I am, half a century young.
I woke to find that FL had lain my birthday card on the pillow beside me.  It opened to reveal pop-up butterflies... or moths, we joked, now that I am old and moth-eaten!
And on reaching the breakfast table, still somewhat bleary-eyed, I found... a spinning wheel!
I don't know whether it is functional, or purely ornamental.
FL reckons "it works" but I don't yet know where he found it, (no doubt a story for another day) so it will require some basic checks to ensure it has all the necessary moving parts.
Wow!  A tad overwhelming, but wow!
Um yes, I always pose for selfies at lunchtime, sir!
Also awaiting me this morning was a wonderful handknitted gift from my BFF Christine.
It is Lush by Tin Can Knits - and it fits perfectly.
I love the buttons she and her daughter chose :)
I wore it to work today.
The best thing about a handknitted gift is that the Other Knitter is more likely than me to weave in all her loose ends - there are no mini skeins left dangling in either sleeve, unlike all of my me-made sweaters / cardis!  LOL
Is that a spinning wheel I see before me?
So... how did I get on with "49 Before 50"?
In the end, I drummed up 41 goals.
I fully achieved 16 of them.
I fully failed on 5 of them.
The rest were "partially implemented".
Not too bad!
The 5 failures were an odd mix.
Would you believe that I failed to Walk on the Beach?
No - just a time machine
Considering I can see the sea from the car on my drive to work, this is inexcusable!  I could probably walk there in my lunch break!  So that is what I must do, sooner rather than later.
That would also contribute to my fitness goals.
Yeah... those were failures too.
But there are lots of positives to report. 
Best of all, I was True to Myself.
 And... I Learned To Spin.
Which is just as well under the circumstances!
Performance art?

42 comments:

Lucy said...

Happy birthday, Roo! What wonderful presents!

christinelaennec said...

I'm so glad you like it and it fits. Curiously, you have photographed it in front of the very first flat we lived in when we came to Aberdeen in 1992! If the time machine were working, you would have seen our Connecticut Cats looking out the window at you. But then, we would all have been 22 years younger, and would we really want that?! A Very Happy Birthday to you.

Clarey H said...

A very happy birthday to you! The spinning wheel looks brilliant, think I would have had to skive off work to get it going.

nuzzle said...

oooo happy birthday, Lush looks fantastic, that colour really suits you

Sarah said...

Happy, happy birthday, Roo!

Gail said...

Looks like a wonderful birthday! Adding my birthday wishes to all the others. Welcome to the half century club!

beate grigutsch said...

happy birthday wishes from east germany!
your new cardi is a beauty! and so you! have fun with that spinning wheel!
xxxx

Helen // Grosgrain Green said...

Happy birthday! What lovely gifts!

Donna Hensley said...

Happy 50th! spin away, spin away! :)

ravelledsleeve said...

Happy birthday, Roo! That's a lovely cardigan, and I hope you enjoy the spinning wheel as much as I have enjoyed mine in the last year!

Karen S said...

Happy Birthday Roo! Welcome to the 50 and over club.

Maeve said...

Happy birthday Roo. Great presents! Enjoy them all and your walk on the beach!

Sabs said...

Happy birthday Roo, that colour looks truly lush on you!

RooKnits said...

Happy Birthday Roo! That is a fantastic cardigan, I am making Em one for Christmas. And a wheel - wow! Excellent presents.

kbenco said...

Happy Birthday, and what lovely presents. Your new cardigan looks terrific on you, I love the colour and the fabulous yoke.

Jenni said...

Happy Birthday Roo, hoping you have a good year x Jenni

Emma said...

Happiest of Happy Birthdays, dear Roo!
Enjoy your spinning wheel - a visit to your local guild should get it sorted.
I love your beautiful birthday cardigan. You look fabulous!

Sarahel said...

Happy, happy birthday. I had remembered that you are a few weeks younger than me and been wondering when the day was. Such perfect gifts. What a lovely husband and friend.

Ruth Wilson said...

Happy birthday! The cardigan is a gorgeous colour on you. The spinning wheel looks great.

Ingrid K. said...

Dear Roo,

Happy happy birthday to you!!!! (Glad I didn't miss it!)

Most of all - well done for staying true to yourself (It's what I like mostest about you and your blog!!!)

And what a gorgeous amazing cardigan, such a lovely deep blue shade, one of my favourites, too! (and it looks smashing on you!)

And a spinning wheel! Super!!!

Here is wishing you a great year to come!!!

Lots of love,
Ingrid xx
http://myfunkycrochet.blogspot.be

Rachel said...

Happy birthday! Such thoughtful gifts!

Jane said...

Happy Birthday! Looking fab at 50! x

poppyinstitches said...

Happy Birthday, fabulous at 50!!

Jen Forsythe said...


Many Happy Returns, such lovely pressies. The cardi is beautiful on you, hope you have lots of fun with your spinning wheel.

shivani said...

Happy happy birthday! What lovely treats! That colour really is lovely on you! x

velosewer said...

Happy birthday you lucky girl. You look fabulous.

LLBB said...

What lovely birthday surprises! I've knit that sweater and love it :)

K.Line said...

What a great gift! And I think you managed that list very well! I doubt I'd have accomplished 5 things!

Lynn said...

Happy Birthday! Welcome to 50! Enjoy setting goals for the next ten years! Never stop setting goals, learning new things and enjoying life. All much more important than any age.

Kate said...

Happy Birthday!

Textile Art Forum said...

birthday greetings from northern Ireland. How lovely to be treated by FL. Welcome to the 50's club. Your blog inspires me throughout the year, thank you for sharing. Amanda

Janey said...

Happy belated birthday, Roo! That cardigan is just lovely! And yes, you should definitely go for a beach walk on your lunch break - it is so easy to not do something despite it being very easy to do so!

Jennifer Hill said...

A very happy birthday for yesterday! So...you've done it...survived...out the other side, lol. I get to 50 next month. '64, it's a good vintage ;) The spinning wheel is fab and the cardigan just gorgeous! Jen

Sew little time said...

happy birthday roo - have a lovely one. and wow - a spinning wheel!

Anna said...

Happy Birthday Roo! Looking forward to seeing what you get up to in the next 50!

PaisleyPirouette said...

Happy birthday of fifty years, Roo! You have got wonderful birthday presents and made one for yourself beeing true to yourself!
SaSa

Lynne said...

Happy birthday!!

JustSewJenna said...

Happy birthday!! The colour is beautiful on you!

Kirsty said...

happy birthday !! xx

lemon said...

Many happy returns of the day, all the happiness of the world in your house <3

CarolS said...

Belated birthday greetings, I can see you had splendid gifts. Fab cardigan, I've never seen one like it. Enjoy the next half century, living fully and adventurously.

Sandy said...

Honestly, Roo, you don't look a bit like 50... more like 39 or something. Happy New Year and what I loved about 50 was the freedom to stop worrying about what people thought and to speak my mind more often... enjoy this year and your lovely gifts... hugs from the snowy, wet NW.