Wednesday, December 31, 2014

On the Eve

Celeriac and Apple Soup - Happy Christmas!
Recipe here.
7 days without an internet connection.  Did you miss me?  I missed you!
A salutatory lesson in digital reliance.
We are 8.5 kilometres of brittle unburied cable from the nearest Telephone Exchange.  The end of the line.  Every time someone gets connected further upstream, our connection dwindles and fades, until it dies.  Mr BT says there is nothing much he can do, unless we move house, but for now we are back online.
So  while I might declutter, I dare not "go paperless". That would be very very foolish indeed.
Meantime... I have been knitting.
This is the sock I cast on on Christmas Eve (Regia Colorations 3311).  I finished the first one in the hospital waiting room yesterday.
All is well.  More Pomalidomide.  That is ten months now.  Wow.

And The Girl got a new Stovetop hat in green baby llama Miski, when my first attempt at her Christmas hat (Skiff) turned out to be ginormous.  I am going to offer that one to The Boy, who has a headful of dreadlocks to keep warm.
I tested my new Turkish spindle and made some 2-ply lumpy red wool.
And then I cracked out some Norwegian wool / bamboo mix and managed this:
Oh yeah, baby, I made laceweight!
I am a very happy spinner!

I am halfway through my Infuscate Curl.
And on the final panel of my Kex Blanket.

I finished listening to Outlander, which my son says sounds like "Fifty Shades of Tartan".  I won't be bothering with the rest of the series.  Sorry if you are a fan.
I have The Paying Guests ready to go.
And I am reading Upstairs at the Party.

If this seems a little rushed, that's because it is.
If my internet connection is doomed, I don't hold out much hope for this blog.  Sigh.

And on that cheerful note:  Happy 2015 when it arrives!

10 comments:

CarolS said...

So good to 'hear' from you. And what a lot you've achieved! I am awe struck and in love with those socks. Hurray for you, for FL and Pomalidomide. And Happy New Year/ Hogmanay

beate grigutsch said...

happy new year!
xx

Anna said...

We have 2 options for internet here and no mobile signal at the house. People look at me with pity when I tell them that my phone only works for a emergency call until I'm about half a mile from the house! It's worth it for the views!

Happy New Year to you! Best wishes for 2015!

violicious said...

I just read the Paying Guests, it's great!

northernknitter said...

What an intelligent fellow your son is...excellent synopsis of Outlander! Just finished The Paying Guests - 4 stories in one - very good read. All the best to you and yours for the New Year. Yvonne

Cynthia 94 said...

And to you too! Happy New Year!

Oh no! I for one, would be very sad if your blog was no more.

That said, hoping a good new year for you, your family and FL! As well as good weather, lots of laughter, continued good food and improved Internet service!

Cheers, Cynthia

deborah said...

Happy new year! I do hope the connection remains and that your blessed blog continues to bring cheer.

JustSewJenna said...

Your son is spot on and very funny! I bought the Outlander audio book after you wrote about it before because I was at a loose end audio book wise but like you I won't be continuing with the series. It did help me get through some very tedious work in the run up to Christmas so for that I am thankful (although I did try and fast forward some bits!).

jessica said...

Happy new year Roo! Lovely handknits, as always, glad the Pom continues to work :-), and beautiful laceweight yarn!!! Hoping the internet situation stabilizes or improves ...

Kestrel said...

I love the colour of the Stovetop hat. That shade of green is one of my favourites. Happy New Year x