Saturday, January 03, 2015

Carrot Cake and Fairtrade Rainbows

It was The Boy's birthday on Friday, the perfect reason to try another new recipe from A Modern Way to Eat.
These are little Cardamom Carrot cakes, with orange-zest-spiked icing instead of the maple syrup / cream cheese concoction of the original recipe.
Seriously addictive and almost completely healthy - but icing has to be allowed on birthday cakes!
And yes, of course I am showing off my new plates at the same time :)
I bought 4 bowls, 4 dinner plates and 4 side plates.  FL and I have never had a matching set before, so Christmas 2014 (and our 7th wedding anniversary - oooh!) seemed as good a time as any to invest.
They are from The Painted Bird.
FL and I are not the sort for fancy presents - he got 2 pairs of handknitted socks, and I got a box of chocolates plus an enthusiastic reception to our new crockery!
Today I packed away the Christmas decorations, cleared out the recyclables, went to the library, took a bag of "stuff" to the charity shop and played in my yarn stash.
We were going to plant the Christmas tree, but the spade has gone missing. Grrrr.

I will leave you with some pictures of a deeply satisfying spin-to-knit project which I completed in the past couple of days.
Inside of pocket
The Boy has worn the same style of fairtrade fleece-lined woollen hoodie since he was 17.  The latest (2 year-old) version was suffering from frayed cuffs and holey pockets, so I fell upon the idea to use handspun Jacob's wool to pick up the unravelling edges and knit it back together.
This was enormously fulfilling.
Short-row handspun cuff replacement
I spun the fibre "to order", and knitted it straight from my spindle.  I know it will never see a washing machine, so there is no fear of it shrinking or felting in a future wash :)



8 comments:

Birgitte said...

Oh, I love when handmaking and crafting can be helpful and utilitarian! The cuff and pockets look like a perfect fit with the jacket. Oh, and happy new year to you!

Scruffybadger said...

Happy new year Roo!
Those plates! I have one side plate, a mug and a matching butter dish.......I would seriously love the whole set! I was given my pieces last Christmas and save them for happy days :-)

Siobhan said...

Those little muffins look glorious! You have made me very hungry :)

Cazz said...

Love bold plates and the hand spun and sewn cuffs. Must be really satisfying.

The Foggy Knitter said...

That china is awesome and so cheerful. Good repair :)

CarolS said...

Hurray for the great knitting. I still have a jumper dress made from hand spun, hand dyed wool (by primary school children. I knitted it for my then 2 year old over 32 years ago. In one of my favourite photographs of us, standing outside our house she wears it over a wool smock I've made from a fragment of cloth purloined from my mother's fabric stash. I'm wearing a pink elephant cord dress from 60's Biba over my obviously pregnant stomach. Best years of my life?

madeinoxford said...

How satisfying! The cuff looks great, like it's meant to be there :)

Glad you had a good Christmas, and your new plates are sure to cheer you up all the way through 2015. They're definitely awesome!

tim's wife said...

LOVE those bright, cheery plates!!!