Sunday, January 11, 2015

The First Week in Full Glowing Technicolor

Highland Handmades Sugar Maple Sock wool in "Fruju"
The first week back to work is always such a struggle:  that period of adjustment when I realise once again, "Oh that's what I do for a living!"
I promised myself that if when I got through it, I would treat myself to a new project...
but that really I ought to try to finish a current work-in-progress first.
Infuscate Curl - before blocking
So it was lovely to cast off my first Curl on Friday night, rounding off the week nicely.
Infuscate is now blocking.  You never know, I might get some pictures before the light fades today.
So what did I cast on?
Why, another Curl of course!

This is Caesious.
This project is a tribute to SillyFru of the SassyPantsKnitter podcast :)
The yarn is the Fruju colourway from Highland Handmades, in the Sugar Maple Sock base.
The project bag is from Absolute Wonder.
Both were sold to help SillyFru with her medical bills after she was diagnosed with a rare form of Leukemia.  Because Wendy (Fru) is a government worker on fixed term contracts (providing psychological support to US Marines) there was a gap in her medical insurance cover at the critical period.
The Knitters rallied.  I made 4 squares towards an insanely bright blanket which she received just before Christmas.
I am delighted to report that Wendy came through it all with characteristic humour and colourful language ;)
What better way to kick start the year than with In Yer Face Colour?
There is a knitalong for Caesious in the Violently Domestic Knitters group on Ravelry if you are interested.  It is a really fun pattern - perfect for a mad variegated yarn!

Regia Colorations 3311
Meanwhile... I have been knitting a few rows of Christmas Eve sock each lunchtime.
This is my first ever absolutely plain vanilla sock.
With a strong wind behind me I should finish the pair this week.

Reading:
The other thing I am likely to finish soon is "Euphoria" by Lily King, pictured at the top of this post.
This novel is based on the true story of Margaret Mead, the eminent anthropologist, and the meeting of her former and latter husbands while all 3 are working in New Guinea.
I came across Gregory Bateson's work at university.  He was Husband Number 2.
There is an interview with Lily King on YouTube, introducing the novel and how she approached the intersection of fact and fiction.
Fascinating stuff.

I also have a new audio-book on the go in the car:  The Paying Guests by Sarah Waters, narrated by Juliet Stevenson.
I am delighted by this.  It has the atmosphere of a Persephone novel.  Is that too sweeping a statement?  That Britain-between-the-wars mixture of melancholy, anxiety and impending excitement as social mores shifted and changed.  The characters are brought to life beautifully by JS, and I have been entertaining FL with my Peckham-esque parroting of some of the lines.
There is something of Virginia Woolf in the writing style.  Some perfect descriptions, capturing those elusive yet tangible moments when a relationship changes and becomes something else.
The dialogue is brilliant.
I wish I could remember the exact words (and I can't look it up without access to the print book), but she refers to the perils of a single woman making friends with a married woman. The husband comes as part of the package, like buying a magazine and discovering it comes with a free crochet pattern...!
It was funnier the way Sarah Waters tells it :)

8 comments:

motherof5 said...

How fabulous, I adore Juliet Stevenson

SewTypical said...

I don't knit or crochet, but I love to see what you've done with the amazing color yarns you pick out. Always enjoy your mini-book review, and end up reading some of them. So, thank you...
:-) Chris

Jennifer Hill said...

What deliciously vibrant yarn! My eldest went back to Uni today, youngest back last week and middle daughter back tomorrow after a week of mocks study leave, so tomorrow I'll be in full adjust to the return of New Year normality myself and, like you, will of course be easing the way through knitting! Best New Year wishes, Jen

vintagerockchick said...

Wow, that is some colourful yarn! I always admire your socks (where else but a knitter's blog could you say that and it not be weird?) but they usually look too complicated for a 'television knitter' like me. BUT the plain vanilla pattern looks perfect, and in that yarn, who's to know it's easy? I've already whizzed over to Ravelry and downloaded the pattern and now I'm off to buy the yarn. Thankfully, my NY resolution was not to buy any new clothes - there was nothing about yarn (or fabric, or patterns). I'm not daft, I know my limitations, thanks for the constant inspiration, Gill x

bagqueen said...

Hi Roo, i just wanted to wish you a happy new year and tell you once again , that I love your blog, it remains my favourite, you always manage to make me smile and inspires me with your makes, both edible and wearable! Happy New Year to you and your FL and the boy and girl.

cutitoutstitchitup said...

I love the Regia self patterning yarns but I haven't see this one before so I shall google. Most of my socks are 'vanilla' I let the yarn do the talking!

madeinoxford said...

The pattern might be vanilla, but I wouldn't call that a plain sock! I'm always amazed by yarns like that. Magic!

Love the yarn you've chosen for your second curl. That's absolutely stunning.

Emily said...

Oh my goodness, that YARN! The color is ASTONISHING!