Tuesday, February 17, 2015

FO: Convergent - a Test Knit Shawl

Ta da!
Finally I can reveal the results of my 12-day test-knitting adventure!
This is the Convergent Shawl by Josh Ryks of Geoknittrix Designs, presenter of the Sword of a Knitter podcast.
The moment I saw the yarns that Josh was using for his prototype, I knew I had to test-knit the design, sight unseen.  Because as you know, I am all about neon at the moment!

The funny thing is, that there turquoise blue is not actually intended to be glow-in-the-dark.
But set against the neon yellow flashes in the Online sock yarn I used for Colour A, it absolutely blazes with electricity!
This shawl has a very clever construction.
I won't divulge the secret sauce, but you can probably see that it changes direction partway through.
My job as a test-knitter was to make sure that the instructions as written produced the intended shape.
I was working "blind", without any pictures of Josh's version, which was an interesting challenge. And a good one!
I enjoyed the interactivity of checking the maths and comparing notes with Josh, alongside the discipline of doing what I was told and reporting back with the results.
And the results are pretty spectacular!
I love the textures and the geometry of this beast.
It is a tricky to get a photograph of the whole thing.
I am tempted to pin it on the wall as a piece of art!

But really I just want to wear it :)

Stats:
Pattern:  Convergent by Josh Ryks, Geoknittrix
Yarn:  100g of OnLine Supersocke 100 Neon Color Two (01731) and about 60g of Atomic City Fibers sock yarn in the colour Oppenheimer's Blue Cadillac.
I only had to break into the second 50g skein of the turquoise after the first edge of the i-cord bind-off, so you could do it with 50g if you were willing to bind off in a contrasting yarn - a mini skein perhaps?
But I came pretty close to using the whole 100g ball of the Supersocke.

Process:
A whole lot of fun!
It is one of those "episodic" patterns that keep the knitter interested with something new to do and think about every time they pick it up.
I can testify that you can trust this designer to know what he is talking about - just do what you are told and you will get a beautiful shawl out of it!

PS:  The shawl pin was a gift.  I'm sorry I don't know where it came from, but there are similar ones on Etsy.
And yes, that's my new navv sweater-dress from Gather and See.
Huge!  Comfy! Just try to prise me out of it!

7 comments:

PaisleyPirouette said...

That is très chic, Roo!
Nice to see you, SaSa

Jen Forsythe said...

It certainly does look like a piece of art, not unlike Van Gogh's Starry Night or colours of the ocean, absolutely beautiful, but much better to wear and enjoy.

CarolS said...

Art, yes! and yes to the similarity with Van Gogh's Starry Night, a good relationship spotted there.
Congratulations.

Jen Arnall-Culliford said...

Lovely shawl!! I believe the shawl pin is by Nicholas and Felice, Anniken Allis sometimes sells them...
https://www.etsy.com/uk/shop/nicholasandfelice

Roobeedoo said...

Thanks Jen - that is almost certainly the correct link to my shawl pin - ooh, maybe I need a copper one! ;)

I hadn't thought of Starry Night - but you are right!

Lynne said...

Wowsers! This is gorgeous, and I love the yarns you've used.

Stitched Together said...

It looks amazing in those yarns.