Tuesday, February 24, 2015

FO: Full Spectrum Caesious Curl by Hunter Hammersen

Are you looking for an easy shawl pattern to use up every last scrap of a totally mad variegated skein of wondrous rainbow beauty?
Here it is!
This is the Caesious pattern from Hunter Hammersen's Curls.
I used my precious skein of Highland Handmades Sugar Maple Sock in the Fruju colourway.  This was sold to help towards SillyFru's medical bills after she was diagnosed with Hairy Cell Leukemia.

While I knew that this yarn would stripe up beautifully as a sock or glove, I was keen to make the best possible use of the available yardage.
I saved just enough yarn to knit a Barn Raising Square.

I wanted something big and bold and beautiful.
And I got it!
It's squooshy too! :)

I knitted 4 rows at a time, here and there.
Once I got going, it grew remarkably quickly.
And I learned how to do a Jeny's Surprisingly Stretchy Bind Off (using Ysolda's video) to finish.
Yay!  New skillz!
But I didn't realise just how big it was until it was blocked.
Fabulous!



Now I just need to decide which shawl to knit next, because obviously I am working my way through the book...
Are you a Curl addict yet?


11 comments:

Cazz said...

Absolutely delightful. Brilliant colours. Looks good on you.

poppyinstitches said...

its brilliant, love the bright bold colours!

Andi G said...

Gorgeous! This looks absolutely stunning on you!

madeinoxford said...

[I've had this open ALL WEEK to comment on. Yeesh. Speedy, I am not!]

I've been so intrigued to see curls popping up here and there. It's a lovely, simple and versatile shape, and looks really lovely to knit. That yarn is just brilliant, and suits the pattern beautifully.

Have fun choosing your next one!

Linda C said...

Beautiful piece of knitting, and the colors are so becoming!

You might like this - one of my friends emailed a bunch of us, who get together monthly, wanting knitting help with a sock - no takers, no talent,- but one member out of town volunteered. Maybe she can have classes for us?

Reading BEAUTIFUL WRECK and I love it. I will probably have to buy a copy because it's a re-read I can tell. Thanks for introducing it to me, or me to it.

LindaC

Mezza May said...

Fantastic! Love it :-) I've wanted to knit one of Hunter's curls ever since she first published the patterns.

Ms Goodenough said...

Always stylish and inspiring x

Amphibiaknitter said...

I love the Caesius curl and I love love love the yarn.

Colleen said...

I have tried each curl pattern at least three times and I keep ending up with a different count at about row 11 or 12. I'm so frustrated by it! Is there a secret???? If so, could you please share it with me in the comments?

Roobeedoo said...

Colleen - are you using stitchmarkers? I found with this one that I needed to leave a stitchmarker at the left hand side, so on the first row I did "slip one, knit one, place marker" and kept that marker there forever more. It did NOT work to have markers in between the stitch pattern repeats as they shift across the boundary line at certain points. Are you remembering to work the charts left to right for row 1 and then right to left for row 2 etc? That threw me at first. Hope this helps!

Colleen said...

WHAT? WHAT? WHAT?

Ohhhh, Roobeedoo, you have saved my sanity. This is what happens when you do NOT read instructions. I've been going left to right all the way through! I really do think I tried all of these patterns at least three to five times WITH DIFFERENT YARNS! until I finally gave up. This helps immeasurably!
xox