Saturday, May 09, 2015

FO: Winter is Coming Shawl


The first week of May brought snow, sunshine and an unexpected guest.
It was also marked by the knitting of a rather lovely shawl.


This is "Winter is Coming" by Sally Jane Cameron, Pink Hair Girl.
I had no plans to make this at all, until I saw Cara of the Knit All The Things Podcast show her's.
Ooh!
And so this became my holiday knitting project.


I used a skein of Fyberspates Echo Self-Striping sock yarn from the depths of the stash.
It is 100% bfl and far better suited to a shawl project than socks.



The pattern is broken into a series of episodes:  the wall, the snow, the waves, dragon scales, then icicles and stakes.
This might mean more to a Game of Thrones fan.
I just liked the pattern!
I always enjoy a project that can be broken down into distinct bite-sized chunks - it feels like progress every time you pick it up.
It was looking rather tiny until I blocked it.
Then that beautiful lace opened up and the bfl bloomed and it turned into a really lovely piece of fabric.
I intend to knit it again, using a gradient dyed sock blank, which should be on its way to me soon.

Let me leave you with a game of spot the difference :)
On the left:  my new distance glasses.
On the right:  my new reading glasses.
Yup, old age has finally caught up with me and I need two pairs of specs.
Hooray for Specsavers!

5 comments:

christinelaennec said...

You look fab! The shawl is beautiful and I'm very curious to know what this gradient dye yarn is, and how it knits up. Your reading glasses make me want a pair too...

Lorna A said...

Beautiful colours. X

poppyinstitches said...

beautiful shawl!

Linda said...

Gorgeous shawl!

Lynne said...

Ooo! This is beautiful. I love the different stitch patterns, and the colours are lovely.