Friday, May 29, 2015

If You Don't Like the Culture, Change the Culture

It has been a strange and disturbing week.
FL has been in pain, exhausted and miserable.
Work reached whole new levels of insanity.




I sought comfort in yarn and literature.

I knitted a pair of teeny tiny baby socks for a colleague's firstborn.
I continued work on my 1980's revival sweater.
I plotted the creation of a crocheted Moomin or two :)

I listened to the whole audiobook of Tuesdays with Morrie.  That's where my post title originated.
And I am halfway through reading Haus Frau by Jill Alexander Essbaum.

I also began to dip my toes into Instagram - I am trying not to fall into the rabbit-hole completely, by treating myself to a few minutes here and there while I wait for the dinner to cook, or the dog to be ready for his walk.  I am theroobeedoo if you want to follow me there.

I am still finding my way around my new smartphone - I can only see the screen if I put on my reading glasses, so texting can be a dreadful misadventure at times.  Poor FL has received some bewildering messages this week!

I also discovered the joy that is Cardamom Chai - perfect with a Blueberry Spelt Muffin!

I bought a couple of new sewing patterns this week:  the Brumby Skirt by Megan Nielsen and the Basics.tank by Cali Faye.  I hope to get to at least one of those this weekend, as well as finishing off my denim Maya dress by Marilla Walker.

So I should be back soon with something new to wear.
And hopefully sounding a bit cheerier!

5 comments:

Melissa said...

Oh we have similar tastes. I love the Brumby skirt too and have been lurking around the CaliFaye shop. I really like that dress of hers!

Anyway, I did laugh when I read that "work reached a new level of insanity" as I used to say that... when I was working. Knitting seems a good pastime and very portable. Those baby socks are so cute.

I hope to get onto IG soon. Looking forward to your denim Maya.

Jen Forsythe said...


Sorry to hear that FL not feeling good and your week has been 'iffy'. I too ventured into instagram at the start of May for me-made-may, it's quite handy once you get used to it. (I'm on it as jhaforsythe, meant to put it as stitchynotions, but made a faux pas) Glad to see you are knitting and those muffins look yummy. Look forward to seeing your sewing, all the best.

poppyinstitches said...

I saw the moonims in Sainsburys when my teenager picked it up and bemoaned our lack of crochet skils! I'm the same with my phone, if I don't use my specs the predictive text takes over and I send some very funny gobbledygook!

K.Line said...

Some weeks take weeks to contextualize - or to recover from. So sorry to hear that it's been crazy at work while you're dealing with serious illness in your family. That's a horrid sort of 1-2 punch. I'm amazed by your ability to compartmentalize these things and to continue to craft - a sanity-inducing activity, I know! Giving you and FL positive vibes.

deborah said...

So sorry to hear you have had such a rotten week. In times of woe the Moomins always come up trumps, and I think the crochet versions just lovely!