Friday, May 01, 2015

Me Made May: The Inventory

'I, Roobeedoo, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '15.  I endeavour to wear me-made clothes that bring me joy (ooh - there's the catch!) each day for the duration of May 2015'

So here we go - another game of wardrobe Russian roulette.

In 2010, I itemised my wardrobe in preparation for Self Stitched September.
The only garments (as opposed to handknit shawls and socks) which remain from that time are:
14 September 2010:  red dress and black jacket - both have survived
The dress comes out of the wardrobe about once a year, on very hot days when I have a Committee meeting.
The jacket comes out slightly more often, but the dotty buttons are dangerously clownish.
I can't remember wearing the pullover at all, except during Me-Made challenges.

This year's inventory is decidedly smaller than 2010's version.
I have decided that I need to concentrate on my work wardrobe, because the dog doesn't care what I wear round the farm.

My me-made work wardrobe consists of:

  • 5 skirts
  • 1 pair culottes
  • 5 woven tops
  • 4 jersey tops
  • 1 jacket
  • 4 dresses
That's 20 items, not including hand knits or knickers.
GULP.

One strong coffee and a chocolate Hob Nob later...

I decided to count my shop-bought items and add them to the list.

The grand total of work-appropriate garments in my wardrobe comes to 35 items, including 3 Boden cardigans, my everyday Seasalt raincoat, a shocking pink summer coat, and a beautiful Brora sweater that I reserve for "best".

I haven't included hand-knits because I think of them as "wintry" and this is supposed to be my spring - summer wardrobe. 
This is akin to FL's refusal to open brown envelopes:  denial will bring you nothing but trouble in the end.  
But bear with me:  I wear a hand knitted shawl almost every day; I am not trying to pretend otherwise.

The purpose of this exercise is to find my happy place.

Maybe I have stopped sewing because I view my clothes as the backdrop for the real stars, the hand knits?
Maybe I just can't be bothered thinking up "outfits" anymore, and would be happier to adopt a uniform of sorts?

I am sure it will become clear over the course of the month... or not.

Happy May Day!

9 comments:

Lorna A said...

I love that dress, it is a fantastic colour, fantastic style and looks fantastic on you.

You know sometimes having a "uniform" isn't a bad thing. When wearing a school uniform there was no way of knowing if you were wearing exactly the same skirt or if it was a clean one.

I remember fashion mags in the 80s advocating the capsule wardrobe that you simply enhanced with carefully selected accessories. May be for work?

vintagerockchick said...

As an alternative - how about winning the lottery and giving up work?
Just a suggestion x

Sarah Smithson said...

Hello Roo
I have been reading The Vivienne Files blog recently and am finding it very helpful to get my work wardrobe sorted out. Try it - you can start with clothes you already have and buy or make what you need to fill in the gaps. You could choose to start from your handknit shawls and build your wardrobe around them the way Janice starts from Hermes scarfs.

Lynn said...

Maybe you are just trying too hard to creative with both your lovely knits and your hand made clothes. Perhaps making good basics in colors that set off your knits would make you feel like you have a more cohesive wardrobe?

Lynn said...

Maybe you are just trying too hard to creative with both your lovely knits and your hand made clothes. Perhaps making good basics in colors that set off your knits would make you feel like you have a more cohesive wardrobe?

poppyinstitches said...

love your tea dress!

ravelledsleeve said...

Good luck! That sounds like a reasonable amount of work clothes to me, really - I'm starting to think that I'd rather have a fortnight's worth of outfits I really like than a month's worth when some of them are the kind that leave me feeling like I'm wearing the wrong thing!

jessica said...

Good luck ~ if the garments all coordinate decently well, that's not a bad number of work clothes to have (possibly)? On the other hand, I'm also a fan of the uniform idea. In a sense, that's what a lot of us end up with --- if you think of "uniform" as "a couple silhouettes we know and love." Mine would be 1) shift dress (with cardigan), 2) fun A-line skirt with plain top, 3) mini skirt with fun woven blouse. Sometimes swap out the mini for jeans, but really, that's about all I've got and I'm reasonably happy with said uniform :-). So --- here's to MMM and figuring out where you want your wardrobe to go from here!

Miss said...

Oh, how I love your posts. And FL's view on brown envelopes is gold!

I'm looking forward to following the May journey.

And I daren't count my work appropriate garments, or admit that many of them I also wear on weekends (there, I did it!) or count the ones I can't fit into... of which there are many. Sob.

Sew on!