Tuesday, June 02, 2015

Finding JOY! in Me Made May 2015

My pledge for Me Made May 2015 read:

'I, Roobeedoo, sign up as a participant of Me-Made-May '15.  I endeavour to wear me-made clothes that bring me joy (ooh - there's the catch!) each day for the duration of May 2015'



What I wore on 2 June 2015
The Sources of JOY!:
I wore 11 out of the 20 me-made items in my wardrobe that I had designated as work-appropriate, plus my new Maya top.
Out of these 12 items, 8 gave me JOY!:  5 tops, 1 dress, 1 skirt and 1 pair of culottes.
A further 4 RTW items registered JOY!:  3 tops and 1 cardigan.

Bottom half:
Dark denim Peggy skirt:  7 times
70's Culottes:  6 times

Jersey tops:
Stripey Renfrew t shirt:  2 times

Woven tops:
Raindrops on Roses top:  1 time
Seersucker Portfolio top:  2 times
Vicar's Wife back-buttoned top:  2 times
Seersucker Maya top (new in May):  2 times

Joyful woven me-made tops
Dresses:
Nani Iro double gauze dress:  2 times

The Joy-filled RTW items I wore were
Howies tartan shirt:  2 times
Refashioned-by-me white broderie vintage top:  1 time
Brora long-sleeve tee:  1 time
Boden black cashmere mix cardigan:  18 times

So what DIDN'T I choose to wear?
My black cotton jacket - I feel more like "me" in a cropped cardi.
Love Cats dress, Bluebirds dress, 40's tea dress - the Nani Iro dress is easier to wear than any of these... but I still like them and will keep them and most likely wear them.
My mustard and watermelon linen Chardon skirts - they felt too bright and I didn't know what to wear on my legs. I made an effort to wear the mustard one today - I like it, but I may have looked a bit crazy.
My dark denim Kelly skirt - it felt uncomfortably tight on my waist  - I got as far as the car one day and ran back inside to change!

Questions posed:
I don't know what to wear on my feet or legs in warm weather - mad coloured tights feel too eccentric, but it is too cold to go without... and is it possible that Doc Marten boots will feel too hot in July / August?

Do you think anyone noticed I wore the same black cardi almost every day?!
Happy (but seasonally inappropriate) Feet!
Lessons Learned :

  • I prefer to wear a woven vintage-style top to work - they look smarter
  • The only tees that feel appropriate for work are very close-fitting
  • I prefer a simple, figure-skimming dress rather than one with fussy details
  • I prefer plain, dark coloured skirts
  • I can't bear tight waistbands!
  • I only wear comfortable footwear 


What does this mean?

I could live comfortably with a much smaller wardrobe...but I was excited to welcome my new Maya top into rotation, so I do actually enjoy having new things!

Silly Old Suitcase beads - my accessory of choice :)

And after all this... do I need (or want) anything new?

Footwear - I am considering a pair of clogs and / or a pair of Doc Marten sandals.
Trousers - a full-length pair and a cropped pair.
Skirts - at least one more everyday staple skirt.
Tights - non-crazy-coloured cotton?
Knickers - a borderline emergency situation!

And finally...any closing remarks?
My Doc Marten boots bring me JOY!
My Silly Old Suitcase beads bring me JOY!
My hand knitted shawls bring me JOY!

So despite my failure to snap a selfie every day in May, I reckon the Me Made self-analysis more than made up for it!

14 comments:

LLBB said...

I think clogs can be a good seasonal in between. Not boots but not sandals. I have a pair that are kind of Mary Jane style that I can wear with or without socks and I can wear them whenever it's not really hot or really cold (which leaves pretty much all the time in seattle!) I just have to be careful the heel doesn't make me twist my ankle- some clogs are bad for me that way.

woollythinker said...

Personally I adore madly colourful tights, always and forever. And I do believe they're pretty fashionable atm, also. But my opinion on that probably shouldn't be trusted as it's been Some Time since I even saw a magazine or similar. Also, I'm heavily in the quirky/crafty/mismatched buttons camp – so, consider the source? If colourful tights don't feel right to you, they're not right, even if I wouldn't call them eccentric.

Minnado said...

I'm finding joy, because reading about your joy makes me smile. I wear leggings under skirts a lot but I don't need a worksmart wardrobe. Xx

Nikki said...

My DM boots bring me joy also, the weather down south has not yet produced temperatures to stop me wearing them! I have DM shoes for work, which I like but, they don't make me feel like my boots do. I find it difficult to find hot weather footwear I like as I feel best in my boots, but Hush puppies have brought out some nice 70s style low wedge sandals which I liked, so I'm giving them a go this year. As for clothes it seems my fabric choice is the key to something bringing me joy or not.

Sew little time said...

I have had hush puppy sandals in the past and they are so comfy! This year I think I am going to get a pair of saltwater sandals - I love that they are like the ones I wore as a child! But I am all about the comfortable footwear! I kondo'd my wardrobe a few months ago and it feels great to love everything hanging in it.

Sew little time said...

I have had hush puppy sandals in the past and they are so comfy! This year I think I am going to get a pair of saltwater sandals - I love that they are like the ones I wore as a child! But I am all about the comfortable footwear! I kondo'd my wardrobe a few months ago and it feels great to love everything hanging in it.

Sew little time said...

I have had hush puppy sandals in the past and they are so comfy! This year I think I am going to get a pair of saltwater sandals - I love that they are like the ones I wore as a child! But I am all about the comfortable footwear! I kondo'd my wardrobe a few months ago and it feels great to love everything hanging in it.

Kestrel said...

The successful part of my MMM was about clearing my pile of UFOs, mending ans restyling. I did an Instagram pic every day and that was an achievable way to keep up with recording outfits and being involved with the community. Well done on your search for joyful clothes, you seem to have made useful discoveries

Jennifer Hill said...

Hooray for sewing! I think the mustard skirt looks fab with black; maybe navy/dark blue with the watermelon? I've just clicked through to your links (although I should actually be putting the washing on, ahem) and, at the risk of sounding a bit fangirl hehe, I love all your makes! I find nice coloured tights/leggings hard to find, but White Stuff have a good range, if pricey, though I plan to make my own ultimately. Love the necklace and DMs too. Jen PS hope FL is feeling better.

Linda C said...

I do agree with you about the tight waistbands. They really just get more uncomfortable as the day goes on. Also, comfortable shoes are a must - they need to fit just right. I have very narrow heels so I have a hard time finding shoes that fit just right. Most of the time if they fit in the heel, they are too tight in the toes; and if there is enough room in the toe area, the heel slips on and off. I am more comfortable in lace ups or strap shoes. I have a good looking pair of leather lace up shoes, which are really sneakers, but the fact that they are turquoise (not too bright) and leather makes them look very work suitable.

Also, Boden has some nice leggings that are summer weight. I got two pair last summer which got a lot of wear and still look. I wash them in my machine and lay them flat to dry. I got a navy pair this summer. Last summer I got black and a sort of blue gray. We have real hot weather here , and they are comfortable to wear in the summer. I think the fabric "breathes."

I love all your clothes which give you joy. I am being inspired to find new homes for clothes I loved at one time and now need to let some one else love. I must admit I still loved flowered skirts in the warm weather.

LindaC

rosylea said...

The shoes/tights conundrum happens to me every year as cool weather changes to warm. Usually I find that boots give way to soft flat brogue type shoes, or my DM Mary Janes. This year I have some lovely Lotta clogs, and I think they could bridge the gap between tights and no tights. I don't like ending up in trousers, but it does seem unavoidable, when I don't really like bare legs at work. I like all your joyful clothes, especially the yellow skirt with black, a combination I am enjoying a lot just now.

trixiebacon said...

Here's a good place to buy clogs. Lots of styles, too.

http://www.lottafromstockholm.co.uk/

Melissa said...

It was interesting to read your analysis of your MMM experience. I can borrow from yours and say I need more footwear as well, and leggings! I found that I enjoyed wearing skirts a lot than than I'd realized!

Roobeedoo said...

Thanks everyone! I have been browsing Lotta from Stockholm for clogs... now to decide on the best colour!