Thursday, June 25, 2015

FO: A Seer-iously Summery Maya Shirt Dress


Now I have my sewing machine to myself again, you would think I would be stitching up a storm.
But it has been so grey and cold around here that I couldn't quite bring myself to crack out the summer cottons.
I had to give myself a severe talking-to.
A whole week at home, with no obligations on my time?
Get to it, Roo!

OK... but I'm not taking my cardigan off.
Side view.

Back view.
What do you mean you can't see my dress?
Sigh.
OK - take this will you?

I made another Maya Dress.
This one is in a very fine, soft seersucker.
I am wearing my Cali Faye BASICS.tank underneath, as otherwise you would see my underpinnings.

It is definitely more of a shirt than a dress, this time around.

I made fully-functioning buttonholes so I can undo them for extra stride-power.
There are two hip-level pockets for additional slouch-appeal.  The stripes would have matched if I hadn't sewn them on inside out :)

I also added super-thin ties at the back to add a little shape without wearing a belt.
I regret that I sewed them in a couple of inches lower than planned, which works well with a cardigan on top, but makes me look like Shrek from behind when I take it off.
I suppose you need to see that...?
Sigh.

Stats:
Pattern:  Maya Dress by Marilla Walker in size 2.

Fabric: 1.5 metres of seersucker from Croft Mill  at £7.50 a metre.

Other:  7 vintage buttons from the local charity shop (10 for 70p); home-made white bias binding leftover from my Bantam Top for the ties; thread.

Verdict?

Apart from the tie-back issue, I love it.
And I am not attempting to remove them because they are buried in my beautiful French seams!
To be honest, I don't expect to take my cardigan off very often, so my inner Shrek-ness can remain a secret... between me and the world wide web!

Am I done with the Maya pattern yet?
It doesn't seem so!
I still want to make the plain-fronted top (no buttons) and have my eye on some Liberty print that would be perfect.




6 comments:

Sarah said...

Roo, this is great! I love that you can wear it on its own (if warmer weather ever arrives for you) and it also is a great layering piece.

You've convinced me to dive in and try this pattern!

liza jane said...

Oh I love seersucker. It's such a wearable fabric. Love the easy shape of this, too.

rosylea said...

I really like what you have done with this pattern - I haven't seen its potential until now. It looks like it has the elusive perfect neckline.

christinelaennec said...

What a lovely dress. And there is no resemblance to Shrek whatsoever, from any angle!

velosewer said...

I love how you're working with this pattern to make it suit you and not the other way around.

PaisleyPirouette said...

I like this dress very much, I think the shape is wonderful for you! There is no Shrek visible at all! However, when you don't like them, I would open the french seams a little bit to cut the strips out and resew there. It is surely nice, too, as is.