Friday, July 17, 2015

Taking it in my Strides (still pausing)

Hello there,
Don't get your hopes up.  I am not really back in the world of internet connectivity.
BT has "declared an MBOC" which means "Matters Beyond Our Control"  re my Broadband connection.
The nice young man from Delhi explained that yes, he can book me an engineer, but when an MBOC is in force, there is a 70% chance he will not turn up.  Which is what happened yesterday.
It could take weeks.
WEEKS!
So that's me cut off until I get back to work on the 27th.
I have composed a lovely long post about my new trousers, with lots of pictures and words.  But I can't transfer those words and pictures from my laptop to the public library PC (where I am sitting to write this).
So these are the Instagram pics that I managed to release to the world when my mobile provider offered me free use of the web from my phone for 7 days... except of course I can only use it in town.  The farm is in a communications black hole.  Which has its uses, but right now is very frustrating.
I made the Strides trousers from the Merchant and Mills Workbook.
They are are very high waisted and low slung.  The hips are a good 8 inches wider than mine, in a size 10.  I will wear them, but if you could see my back view, you would understand they are not as perfect as they appear from the front.  In drapier fabric?  Yes they would indeed be gorgeous in a fine wool or linen.  I used cotton chino fabric.  I will tell you all about it one day.
For now, the essential information you need to know is that there is a mistake in the instructions.  The fly extension should be cut off from the left side not the right side.  If you cut it off from the left, the fly guard will be the wrong way out, ie lining side up.  And if your belt shifts around, it will show.  Sigh.
In other news, FL was back at the hospital on Tuesday.  His Myeloma is stable and the Consultant is puzzled by his obvious low ebb.  She has ordered scans of his heart and lungs, as he is very breathless.  I can't get him to leave the house on foot, even as far as the garden, and he has given up driving.  So I am chief chauffeur this week and next, while I am on holiday.
My car failed its MoT test, so I am driving FL's car until mine gets repaired next Monday.  This is a major life achievement as I am terrified of driving FL's big car (just a Mondeo but it feels like a bus to me).
So:  no internet, no mobile coverage and no car.  Fabulous.
But look at this! Here I am, so it's not as bad as it felt when it all came crashing down on top of me!
I am in the library for an hour and I can order a new cookbook (Modern Way to Cook by Anna Jones) and hopefully print my Coop Knits MKAL sock clue 2.  I hope so - I have still to ask the assistant if printing is allowed :)
And when I get back home I will be sewing and knitting and everything will be fine.
I have no choice but to take it in my stride(s)   :)







9 comments:

Scruffybadger said...

Keep smiling Roo! The world is not against you, it's just offering you opportunities for different perspectives which you appear to be making the most of. Your strides look great ( even if you have some dissatisfactions) and your sewjo is back. All the best for the next few weeks xx

verykerryberry said...

Thanks for noting the correction. I think you carry off the style well and they look low slung on you rather than waisties! Big breaths with your tech experiences and your driving x

Sox said...

Have you thought of emailing yourself your post(s) and then pasting them from your email into your blog? You would have to take your laptop to the library to sent the email (using the libraries wifi), then open the email on the library computer, but it might still work. Or take your laptop to the library to work on stuff. (Or maybe your library doestn't have wife?) If not, I hope you enjoy the rest of your holiday in your lovely Strides!

Funkbunny said...

I've been following your blog for a while but haven't commented before. It's lovely to have an update, even if it took you some time and effort to make it happen. Great pants btw :)

Cherie said...

So sorry about the technical problems! but your outfit is to die for! Love the trousers and the rest of the outfit. You look terrific!

Miss said...

You look fantastic - what an ensemble. And hey, we can't see the back!

Hope FL is soon feeling better and the doc's sort things out.

Impressed that you are taking it all in your strides - hope the creating continues, and all is set right quicker than an MBOC suggests....

Marjorie said...

Hugs. Love all your sewing projects. Nice to see someone making clothes. Back in the bush where I live, the only sewing is for quilting and that is the only fabric available as well. Hope they get to the MbC quickly.

Palava rakkaus, pikkusydän said...

I love the low-slung look - great trousers! And call me strange, but I really like the fly guard's lining. Terrific fabric!

I hope your connectivity problems will be resolved swiftly, and good luck with the driving!

angeeza said...

Thank you for your comment on Strides. I made my shorts, and I did not understand all the explanations for the fly guard. But it is finished ! Good luck for your every day life. Excuse my English...