Monday, October 05, 2015

FO: Epistrophy Yoke Cardigan by Kate Davies

Proof, if ever it was required, that JUST KNITTING IT gets things knitted!

I have wanted to knit a Yoke by Kate Davies since the first sneak peeks of the book appeared on Kate’s blog.  
I decided to knit Epistrophy from stash, using Skein Queen Voluptuous.  I had one giant variegated green / pink skein from a club shipment, and a partial skein of plummy pink purchased from a fellow-Raveller’s destash.
Perfect!

However, as I started to knit, it soon became clear that I would need more yarn.  I searched Ravelry for other club members who had already used part of their green skein, and contacted the person whose lovely cowl looked the closest in colour to my sweater-in-progress.  I was very very lucky, because this lady had TWO skeins, and offered to sell me both for a bargainous price.  Thank you again, if you are reading this J

I worked on this project fairly monogamously, despite numerous distractions.
Sleeves are just as portable as socks – who knew?!  I raced up the body and the sleeves, eager to get to the colourwork.

There was a pause while I tried to remember how to steek.  Not having internet at home meant I couldn’t just look it up when I needed to. 
Eventually I took the plunge and tried to copy what I seemed to have done on Betty Jean McNeil.  Honestly?  I bodged it.
I managed to cut beyond my crocheted reinforcement, and created a lovely frayed edge. 
Just as well I had bought some of Kate’s pretty grosgrain ribbon to cover the steek on the inside!


There was another pause to obtain buttons.
Fortunately, my friend Christine was in town one day and gave me a reason to take a day off to go to the local wool shop, where we found the perfect match. 
Being sensible, she told me to buy an extra one... and serendipity struck again because I ended up with eleven buttonholes instead of the ten I aimed for.
Ahem.
Stats:
Pattern: 
Epistrophy by Kate Davies, in the smallest size

Yarn:  Skein Queen Voluptuous in the colours Don’t Go Outside (green) and Plumberry.
Needles:  one size smaller for the sleeves, one size bigger for the colourwork.
Other:  Buttons and ribbon, as mentioned.

Verdict?
It is a good fit, straight from the pattern.  I got gauge despite not doing anything to check it.

My only niggling doubt is the neckline. 
I find myself tugging the hem downwards to stop the neck from standing proud of my shoulders.  Kate’s introduction to the pattern points out that it is low and wide and straight. 

I think my colourwork is just a little too tight, causing the neckline to slide up.  I thought about using more grosgrain ribbon to reinforce the neck and shape it at the ideal low and wide level.  However, I am hoping that my yoke-knitting will relax in wear, making this unnecessary.

Of course, this means I will have a bare neck...

The good news about that is that I have plenty of green yarn left – the perfect excuse to make a matching cowl to cover the gap!




16 comments:

Mairead Hardy said...

It looks great! And a cowl would be lovely - may I suggest a Honey Cowl? ;-)

SewCraftyChemist said...

The colors are gorgeous. Beautiful sweater!

poppyinstitches said...

its beautiful, I love Kate' patterns just no where near experienced to knit them.

Birgitte said...

I love these colors together! Very nice. I agree with the neckband - it might relax into shape, or a ribbon would ease it into shape. Additionally, some steaming over a tailors ham will coax it - probably more temporarily than not, but maybe for long enough for the rest of the cardigan to catch up?

Jennifer Hill said...

Ah, this is unutterably gorgeous! The colours in that beautiful green yarn!! And the combination with the plum is just lovely. A variegated for the background and plain for the pattern in the yoke works so well. I must get properly on Ravelry; at the mo I just use it for pattern research and then pin ideas to Pinterest, but am currently knitting like a loon (though I should be finishing off numerous sewing pojects...). Changing the topic, I was so sorry to read of FL's recent diagnostic results and continued pain. What a total bummer. Tough for both of you. I hope you both have happier things to distract...anything on the needles now? A shawl in that yarn would be beautiful. Jen

Violet said...

I love your cardigan, especially your colour scheme and even the stand-dy up-py neckline!

Miss said...

It's beautiful! You're an artist with the needles!

CarolS said...

Yes to a cowl, fab look. Well done.

Sabs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Sabs said...

Roo this is BEAUTIFUL, I love it and it looks really good on you!

Lynne said...

Wowsers! This is absolutely gorgeous!!

Charlotte said...

You're my inspiration on the Epistrophy -- i have some yummy green/gold with either a light or dark gold for the contrast -- I'm gearing up my nerve! Yours is just beautiful ...

jessica said...

Love this!! The color combination is great and the fit through the body is lovely. I don't suppose you could tack the neckline to clear elastic? Or perhaps run some purple yarn along the bindoff edge to cinch it in a bit? (Even having 3-6 cm of negative ease in that "easing" yarn would pull things in enough to make a difference)

One of these days we should have a Yokes knitalong. I've got my eye on Buchanan although of course we don't have to knit the same Yoke!

Lindak said...

What a gorgeous cardigan, you are so brave to steek without the internet helping!

karen said...

beautiful sweater and I love the way you photographed your perfect project!!

Bibliophile said...

Beautiful sweater, the colours are gorgeous. Thought I'd pop out of the woodwork, as a fair isle sweater I knit recently had exactly the same neckline ribbing problem. Narrow shoulders don't help either! I ended up ripping it, I'm afraid, then reducing the stitches by 1/3rd, which brought it in significantly, and it looks SO much better. Hope you found other, easier, solutions but if not.