Friday, October 02, 2015

In Limbo


Don't publish without a picture, I thought.

But what sort of image do I want to present?

"Sunset over the farm" strikes me as self-dramatizing.


An unravelled sock?

Even worse!


How about a cheerily upbeat photo of my latest obsession - a crochet cardigan in neon pink and green?

A symbol of keeping calm and carrying on and storming through my days in a blazingly positive fashion forward leftfield sort of way?
Um.  Yeah.

This is what is happening (and thank you for asking):

Myeloma
FL's myeloma is back.
His upper left arm is peppered with lytic lesions (holes in the bone), the largest of which is 2cm in diameter.
He is lucky not to have a fracture.
This is causing excruciating pain, which the doctors at first assumed was the aftermath of shingles.
When they finally ordered xrays, the true cause was all too clear.
I'm not blaming them.  They knew that as soon as an xray showed progression of his myeloma, they would have to withdraw the super-drug (Pomalidomide).
He is having radiotherapy next week, to tackle the pain.
Then back to the hospital the week after to Consult.
So right now we are in limbo.

Internet
In other news, we still do not have an internet service at home.  BT has been singularly incompetent, but there is no other line-provider to our remote corner of the countryside, so we just have to keep plugging away at them to remind them that no, we do not yet have a broadband connection and could they please fix it?
I await attempt two to provide us with a new router.
They could not find us.  LOL
Why not follow the cable from the telephone exchange?!

Work
I am being Restructured.
One by one members of my team are being redistributed around the organisation, to sometimes surprising places.
I do not yet know where I will end up.
My meeting with the boss has been postponed three times so far.
This is added stress which I do not need and it is very tempting to Voluntarily Sever myself.
However, I am going to wait and see what is on offer. 
You never know, it might be a Good Thing.

Knitting?
I have a finished object!
My Epistrophy cardigan just requires buttons and a photoshoot - woo hoo!

Always end on a positive note, Roo.


40 comments:

Linda said...

So sorry to hear that FL's myeloma is back. Hope the radiotherapy helps. ((HUGS)) to you all. Love the crotchet cardigan, such lovely colours! And the sunset over the farm is gorgeous. Good luck with the broadband.

Chef L said...

Sorry to hear the news - big hugs and I'm putting the kettle on for you from afar.

Sew little time said...

roo - i am so sorry to hear that. thinking of you both. and get your finger out BT!

Carmen Bouchard said...

Dear Roo, I just want to say that FL has a place in my thoughts and so do you.

Jodie said...

Oh, Roo. Life sure can suck some days, can't it? I'm thinking of you both.

Wakeymakes said...

Hi I would hold out on the job. Doesn't sound long before you have an answer. Bugger the myeloma. My dad has Zometa every four weeks and an annual bone scan. Don't know if FL does too. Your neon looks amazing. Crafting is therapy. Big gentle hugs to you both K xXx

starryfish said...

I'm sorry to hear about FL, I hope they can manage his pain. BT need to get their act together for you.

Athene said...

Glad to see you back. No words other than to say best wishes, there are many strangers like myself wishing you well.

Tamsin said...

I was wondering how you were. I was going to say 'how do you stay upbeat' but obviously this is just a blog post, not your 'everyday'. I have just been through breast cancer and finished my radiotherapy last week and one just keeps on keeping on... Thoughts are with you both

Tamsin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Tamsin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lynn said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. So much going on that are beyond your control. Sometimes the best you can do is hunker down and hold on tight. Your friends and readers are there, at least in spirit if they can't be in person, helping you to hang on.

Lynn said...

My thoughts and prayers are with you. So much going on that are beyond your control. Sometimes the best you can do is hunker down and hold on tight. Your friends and readers are there, at least in spirit if they can't be in person, helping you to hang on.

Katherine Free said...

So sorry to hear about FL, I hope the doctors can give him something to manage the pain. What a time of turmoil for you this is, I admire your resilience. I hope that work settles down and that it is for the best - you never know. BT sort it out - perhaps we can start a petition, "Get Roo back online"!

Susan said...

I was pleased to see you back, but so sorry to hear your news. I find your strength admirable, and my thoughts are with you both.

LinB said...

It never rains but it pours, alas. Know that you and FL are being held in the light by many, many people. Keep your needlework close to hand, it is an effective tranquilizer, and less destructive if not less addictive than heroin.

ravelledsleeve said...

Thanks for the update, I'd been wondering how you were doing. Sorry to hear that FL isn't doing well, and about the Restructuring (urgh!). Sending all good thoughts to you both xx

blue hands said...

Sorry to hear your news, Roo. Keep on keeping on. xx

Sabs said...

So sorry to hear the myeloma is back. Hope FL's pain is eased with the radiotherapy and you are both holding up ok xx

violicious said...

Holding FL and you in my thoughts.

poppyinstitches said...

So sorry the myeloma has come back, thinking of you both x

Liz said...

I've been thinking about you and FL. Hoping you both find strength and that FL's pain can be eased.

liza jane said...

Sending good vibes your way.

Kaitlyn said...

Thinking of you during this time. Illness in the family is a terrible thing; hoping you can find some solace in your handcrafts at this time

Paula said...

Long time reader, rarely commenter - I'm so sorry to hear FL is suffering and hope that he gets some relief with the radiotherapy. XOXO from Los Angeles

Saffi said...

How many things can the world throw at you at once?! Remember that it's alright to scream at the unfairness of it all occasionally. Thinking of you.

Saffi said...

How many things can the world throw at you at once?! Remember that it's alright to scream at the unfairness of it all occasionally. Thinking of you.

Tanit-Isis said...

Oh, hugs!!! I hope things resolve at work, at least, and that they can do something for FL's pain at least. Can't wait to see the cardigan.

Coco said...

My thoughts are with you and FL.

Internet - can you get satellite internet service maybe?

lemon said...

My love. It can not help, I know. But it is there, for you (both).

ambermog said...

Oh my dear, sending much love, positive vibes and strength for you both. We are having a little of the same so I know all about the sleepless nights and worry. Thinking of you xx

Ms Goodenough said...

So sorry. Very hard times indeed.

Emma said...

Google just ate my comment! Attempt no.2

I'm sorry to read that the myeloma is back, and hope that FL's pain is dealt with.
Also sorry about your job stress. Hope that ends well.
Please accept virtual hugs and love.

Knit on and all that!

Miss said...

Ms Roo, I am sorry to hear that FL's Myeloma is back. I hope that the radiotherapy can bring the pain under control, and that the Consulting brings some good news. Also hope work and the internet get fixed.
Thinking of you both - I check in with your blog every day, so am often thinking of you over there in Scotland.
Blessings and peace
x

jessica said...

Limbo~ such a blazingly hard place to be. Limbo in so many parts of your life~ I wish I could reach across the screen and give you a big hug. FL too. Sending you two so much love. Hope you're able to find the moments that you need, tucked away here and there, in the midst of all of this.

Roobeedoo said...

Thank you everyone.
I'll keep you posted.

CarolS said...

All good positive wishes for you both, manageable pain, excellent new placement with excellent colleagues, many more beautiful sunsets and sunrises and lots of knitting/sewing/crocheting. My thoughts are with you every day.

CarolS said...

Oh and PS
BT is awful. they must get to work and sort your connection out. ASAP.

JustSewJenna said...

I am so sorry to read this. I am keeping you both in my thoughts and I hope the radiotherapy brings some pain relief. xx

Star speckles said...

I'm so sorry to read this - you're in my thoughts

xx