Monday, October 26, 2015

Slow Season

 It took me until this weekend to set aside my summer clothes.  It has been warmer here in October than it was in July, so I had put off the inevitable.  But with the changing of the clocks and the first log fire of the season, the time had clearly come.
I unpacked: two flannel Camber dresses, two wool skirts, and three warm cardigans.  All handmade.

There is a jangling of empty hangers in my wardrobe, but they have a pleasant chime.  I am not in a rush to fill them.


I started work on a new winter coat a few weeks ago. 

I am using Marilla Walker’s Maya Dress pattern, with some self-drafted sleeves which owe a lot to a 1960’s Simplicity blouse pattern.

The fabric is a herringbone wool mix, which is not as heavy as I expected.  It is a “dressing up” coat rather than a weather-resistant one.

This weekend I got as far as making a bagged lining, and now it is hanging up to find its shape as the wool relaxes.  At the moment I have an unintentional scalloped hem!

I have ordered some gorgeous vintage buttons.  I am still deciding whether or not to try my hand at bound buttonholes.
Slow and steady, little by little, I am making a coat.

And when my first Skein Queen club surprise package arrived the other day, the plan for matching knits came together a little more clearly.  Ooh!  Lovely!

I am not completely sure, but I think I will make a scaled-down version of the Sunwalker shawl by Melanie Berg.  I only have 400m and the full-sized Sunwalker takes more than twice as much yarn.

7 comments:

Kestrel said...

Oooh, I love the match of that wool with your fabric. Gorgeous

Jennifer Hill said...

What gorgeous coloured yarn. You're very clever; I'm a way off making a coat yet, but given time... Jen

Anna said...

darn it Roo, you've done it again. I should be working and instead I'm checking my stash on Ravelry and buying patterns... I've only got 840y of the yarn I want to use so I'll be sizing it down too, hopefully there's an easy way to figure out how to!

Looking forward to seeing the coat!

poppyinstitches said...

lovely herringbone for your coat and the yarn is beautiful, perfect for a shawl. Looking forward to seeing your coat!
#poppyinstitches

unlabelled clothes said...

That herringbone wool for your coat looks nice. Coatmaking is so daunting that it's a good idea to take it slowly. I look forward to seeing it.

sewstyled said...

Lovely coat fabric- traditional with a twist. Please share what is the title of the book under the fabric?

jessica said...

What a lovely pairing! That looks like it will be a lovely coat. I don't suppose underlining would keep the hand of the fabric but add some warmth? (You might be beyond that stage anyways) And making matching handknits is completely inspired.

Thinking of you and FL ...