Monday, November 23, 2015

Fifty First Snow and a Ladybug

I am told that it always snows just before my birthday.
This year, it was a day late.
I took a holiday to celebrate - not by getting inebriated (tempting though it was) but to take delivery of my brand new shiny spinning wheel - yay!

It is a Schacht Ladybug.  Every one has a tiny red and black pin in a secret location - every one is unique.

FL was asleep when it arrived and missed the hilarity of its assembly.  I felt quite proud when I had finished, without the need to refer to a "how to" video.

Actual spinning took me rather longer.  (And several videos.)

But by the end of the weekend, I was producing a passable single in a particularly pungent hue of pond scum green.

The fibre I used was not the best choice for a beginner, but I didn't want to ruin the good stuff.

This only cost me £3.25 for 100g from World of Wool and is a blend of merino, bamboo and soy bean.  It is wonderfully silky to the touch, but very slippery.

I am amazed I managed to spin it at all.
Proper sheepy wool will be a relief after this.


Knitting

In knitting news, I am storming through my bright orange Angelus Novus cardigan.  I predict it will be finished before the end of the month. 

There is also secret Christmas knitting.  But it is a secret :)


Myeloma

I don't quite know what to tell you about FL.

He is really struggling at the moment.

We are at the hospital every two weeks now.
No Pomalidomide, no dexies.

He is in a great deal of pain, has a chest infection and an eye infection, and is completely miserable.
I don't like leaving him alone, but I can't always work from home.

The Consultant asked me if we were coping and I said "We are managing"... but I know it is not sustainable.


Work
I did not opt for Voluntary Severance and I have been Restructured.
It is not ideal, but I am probably one of the lucky ones.

Sanity
I have blue hair again.
So life is good ;)

20 comments:

Tamsin said...

We had snow in Essex, according to my daughter. By the time I got up it was lashing with rain and no snow. Happy belated birthday and big hugs to you both...

Tamsin said...

We had snow in Essex, according to my daughter. By the time I got up it was lashing with rain and no snow. Happy belated birthday and big hugs to you both...

Athene said...

Happy birthday, and best wishes. Long time lurker/reader, I don't often comment but I really enjoy your blog.

agirlinwinter said...

Envious you have snow! We hardly ever get it here in the South. I have that cardigan project in my Ravelry queue, yours is such a lovely shade. I'm sorry that FL is struggling :-( It must be difficult for you as his sole carer. Sending you both virtual higs and best wishes. Also, happy belated birthday!

Charlotte said...

My heart goes out to you and FL -- watching someone you love in pain is so difficult.

But perhaps spinning "pond scum green" fibre is the only sane response! Keep on keeping on ... and know there's a whole ghosty internet cohort rooting for you out here.

Barbara said...

Happy birthday! Well done with the spinning wheel. I'll bet the spinning action will provide you with some meditative peace.

I don't think I have ever commented before but wanted to tell you I understand what you and FL are going through. My father-in-law had myeloma and all you have written is familiar ground to me. Hang in. You have much support out here in the sewing community.

Knitlass said...

Happy Birthday! Hope you enjoyed the snow :-) oh - a spinning wheel - I am green with envy. I would love to have one, but daren't adopt another craft and associated stash!! Sorry to hear about the ongoing pain for FL. Sounds grim.

Melissa said...

I am sorry to hear about FL's health. I am not familiar with it so I can't really comment but just hope things will ease up. It's hard to see a loved one in pain.

Happy Birthday to you! A spinning wheel AND blue hair to celebrate? Sounds good to me!

ambermog said...

Happy birthday and what a great birthday present. I love my ladybug:) sending strength to you both for this stage of your journey and much love xx

Mairead Hardy said...

Happy happy birthday! Sending virtual hugs and positive vibes from the south coast. Where we apparently had a smattering of snow...

jlynn said...

I also am a long time lurker and I just want to let you know how much I love your knitting posts (even though I'm not a knitter!), your snapshots into your area of the world, and your life. I'm sending positive thoughts to you and your family!

colleen said...

Blue hair and blues skies, a joyous combination. Wishing you many more.

Linda C said...

was just wondering today when the birthday was - I thought it was around this time of year. Nice present - that spinning wheel. Love the color of the thread you have been spinning.

We too have blue skies and very cold weather for us. This is after weeks of rain during which water came out of the ceiling and flooded the entry, was moving on to the rest of the house but we caught it. Lots of old towels and good towels got the water. Then big bowls on the floor for a bit, only filled up once after the initial "Blessing." A man came yesterday and is sending an estimate soon. (Scary thought!)

I am sorry to hear FL is having such a bad time I pray for you both always. I have a great admiration for you, now more than ever, as we have been going through a battery of tests and my husband will start a course of treatment either before or after the New Year. I see what you mean about the doctors don't seem to share information always - I think you said that anyway, I say it.

Keep spinning, sounds hypnotic.

LindaC

Joyce Ward said...

Sorry to hear that your husband is having such difficulties. You are surely a blessing to him and an example of how one can handle a difficult situation, day by day, with grace and humor. Love your blog and will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

TempestKnits said...

Many happy returns and hoorah for blue hair at least! I am thinking of you and FL and hoping so very much that his pain and discomfort eases - it is so hard I know to watch anyone we love go through so much.

Emma said...

I am so sorry that FL is struggling. He must be feeling very miserable.
H*A*P*P*Y B*I*R*T*H*D*A*Y ! Wonderful present. Use the good stuff!
Yay to blue hair.

MaryinTN said...

I am so sorry FL is so ill and struggling. You are both in my thoughts and prayers.

Sabs said...

Happy belated birthday Roo, hope the Ladybug is bringing you comfort and joy thru the difficult times xx

Twelfthknit said...

I really urge you to not say you are managing. I know that the
Implications of not managing are scary but there must (I hope...) be services that can help. I know my brother is finding the help of Macmillan nurses and various agencies a big help. He has sitters to come and sit with his wife but he isn't working song don't know how often this is.

pennylibrarian said...

Wishing you both all the best that can be wished.
This time last year I had been re-structured and my Dad was reaching the end of his quick but vicious dance with mesothelioma. We found that support was not always easy to elicit particularly over Christmas and New Year so I hope that the services near to you are swift and responsive.