Wednesday, November 04, 2015

Under the Influence

November already!
My socks
Since last I wrote, another pair of Arne and Carlos Regia socks has fallen off the needles.  I squeezed His 'n Hers socks out of 100g of self patterning yarn, plus 50g of plain red.  Bargain!
I am saving FL's pair for Christmas or a time of great need, whichever comes first.  The jury is out on the more likely of those two scenarios.

FL's socks

This left a sock-shaped vacancy on my needles, so I decided to cast on a pair of knee high colourwork socks, Talia by Rachel Coopey.  I probably managed two rows in the Waiting Room on Tuesday before I got bored of knitting 104 stitches in twisted rib on 2.25mm needles.
This does not bode well!

 
So perhaps it is just as well that I have been struck by an unnatural obsession with another knitter's cardigan, to the extent of emailing her to ask for a custom dye of matching yarn, so that I can be her Northern Scottish twin.

"Shepard's Warning" by The Wool Kitchen
 
This is what comes of a recent bout of binge-listening to UK-based podcasts.  It led me into a rabbit warren of links:  Curious Handmade, ShinyBees,  the Wool Kitchen,  East London Knit... on and on I burrowed, until I fell upon Helen's version of the Angelus Novus cardigan by Renee Callaghan.
GASP!  It shall be mine!!!
And lo, it shall indeed :)

Hospital Update:

The doctors are still pondering what best to do for FL.  He has 12% myeloma cells in his bone marrow (bad, but not as bad as it could be). However, the main problem is that his blood cells are "dysplastic".  I understand this to mean that they are not regularly replacing themselves with healthy new cells. Instead, the proportion of dodgy dud cells is increasing, making FL less able to fight infection and less able to cope with chemotherapy.

So, although there is an intravenous  chemo drug called Bendamustine (forever lodged in my brain as "Bendy-Bus") it is far too toxic for FL's system to cope with, so is off the menu.  There is another called Idarubicin, which can be taken in tablet form and they are considering this one.  However, a cursory Google search tells me that 9 out of 10 patients experience a wide range of side effects including vomiting, exhaustion and generally feeling terrible when taking this delightful drug.  I honestly think they will have to rule that one out on the grounds of reduced quality of life.

Which leaves us with...?
The doctors have no other ideas at the moment, other than to give FL a steroid boost.

So this week FL has 4 consecutive days of Dexamethasone to look forward to.  He is still taking Pregabalin to try to combat the nerve pain, but it doesn't seem to be making any difference yet.

We go back to the hospital in another 2 weeks for the results of his latest Freelite test, to see if the Myeloma is sneaking up on the outside lane in the dark with its headlights off, since there is nothing to stop it.  They still haven't ruled out going back to Pomalidomide, but I would be surprised if they manage to justify it to the NHS funding panel.

Just keeping on knitting.














7 comments:

Birgitte said...

Lovely socks! And Arne & Carlos are my countrymen, so I'm pleased to see their work reach far and wide. Very clever to add inn some matching yarn to get a second pair of socks. Doesn't it feel good to make use of all of the skein? I love that. I send you and FL some extra thoughts as well - it's not easy playing this game of wait-and-see. I wish you every bit of calm and steadiness available to you both as you navigate the time ahead.

madeinoxford said...

I know just what you mean - sometimes you want to substitute yarn, and sometimes you just have to have THIS ONE RIGHT NOW. Look forward to seeing the cardigan, I though the whole Klee collection looked awesome.

Just keep knitting definitely sounds like the order of the day. Love to you both xxx

Lucy said...

Oh Roo. I have been reading a lot and not commenting lately, but please know that I am silently sending love and keeping you and FL in my thoughts. Just keep knitting...

Charlotte said...

Yup -- I'm out here with Lucy, checking in and sending whatever good vibes I can. For all the critics of social media etc, I love how we all find one another and connect. In my time of need a few years ago, several lovely blog readers helped keep my head above water.
And those socks are a marvel! I'm just beginning with socks and now feel I MUST have RED SOCKS.

Roobeedoo said...

Thank you my dears :)

CarolS said...

Agree with all the above, keep knitting and love to you both

JustSewJenna said...

What lovely socks! I am, as ever, in awe of your sock making skills. I am thinking of you both and hope that you are coping. Just keep knitting.