Thursday, December 31, 2015

Accounting for 2015

Hello my dears!
It's that time again:  the end of one year, the start of another and I feel the need to take stock.
My internet is clanking and groaning with the effort of making a connection today, so I will try not to take too long over this.  If you want more details, all the knitty stuff is on Ravelry and the sewing is blogged.

In 2015, I knitted the following:

11 pairs of socks, all using mass-produced sock yarn except the Advent Scrap socks and a pair of baby socks, which both included artisan wool.  7 pairs used Regia yarn and 8 pairs were "plain vanilla".

  • This was a new direction for my sock knitting:  in the past I have gone for complicated patterns and hand-dyed wool.

 

7 shawls, which included 2 test knits for Josh Ryks and 2 patterns from the "Curls" book by Hunter Hammersen.  I started the year thinking I would work my way through all of the Curls, but I made a series of poor yarn / pattern matches and had to frog them.

  • The ripping-out was another characteristic of my knitting in 2015:  I was much better at cutting my losses if things were not going to plan.  I had a major frogging festival the other day :)

I made 3 full-sized garments for myself:  a 1980's pattern sweater, Epistrophy by Kate Davies and the unexpected orange woolly wonderfulness that is my Angelus Novus Cardigan.

I also knitted 3 hats, 2 pairs of mitts, 1 baby cardigan and 1 little Bird.


I finished my Kex Blanket!
I was delighted that it brought some warmth and home comfort to FL during his recent stay in hospital.

And I did more crochet.
  • In 2015, Inside Crochet magazine was the most inspiring stitchy publication I came across, and I bought every issue.
My sewing became more considered.  I made far fewer items but I wore them more often.

  • The Maya pattern by Marilla Walker became my go-to basic block for the majority of my makes in 2015:  tops, dresses and even a coat
  • My 1970's pattern culottes became my most regularly-worn bottom half
  • I loved the pockets in my Brumby skirt!
I got serious about spinning!  And bought a spinning wheel, the Schacht Ladybug.
  • My final project of 2015 is to finish plying my first full braid of fibre:  pink Norwegian wool / bamboo mix from Fondant Fibre, with a view to knitting myself a Qwist hat in the New Year.
FL
Of course, the other big thing that happened in 2015 is that FL's health started to go downhill.
He caught shingles in May and never recovered fully from that:  he still gets post-herpetic pain.
The myeloma took advantage of his general weakness and his Freelite scores began to multiply.
He had his final cycle of Pomalidomide in September. 
Since then, he has had to rely on increasing doses of painkillers:  paracetamol, then codeine, and since the beginning of December he has been on Oxycodone and Oxynorm (morphine-based drugs).
He was hospitalised for ten days just before Christmas.  A blood transfusion brought him back from the brink.
Right now, he is asleep on his chair, as he so often is these days.
But he still has a book to finish writing, and I know it is the thing that has kept him going all these years, since his cancer diagnosis in 2007. 
So that has to be our main goal for 2016:  finish the book.

14 comments:

Wakeymakes said...

Your honesty in blogging success and fails is inspiring. Also sharing your life! I thank you and wish you and all your family some health and happiness in the coming year. Keep blogging K xXx

ikensall said...

I am a frequent reader but have never commented before but feel I should wish you and FL all the best for the year ahead. I'm more of a sewer (pronounce that either way) than a knitter but love all your creations!

K.Line said...

R: We're here with you through 2016! I'm optimistic that you will collaborate on finishing a great book and do many more creative crafting things. xo

Stephen Greene said...

Much more likely that you, Ms. Roo, are what keeps FL fighting for another day.

Jen Forsythe said...


You've been very productive in 2015, particularly love the blanket and, as usual, all your lovely socks. Best wishes to you, FL and family.

Knitlass said...

A very productive year! That's really impressive - well done. Here's to more making and writing in 2016.

coyotewoman said...

You are an inspiration! Best wishes in the New Year.
Comfort on difficult days, smiles when sadness intrudes, rainbows to follow the clouds, laughter to kiss your lips, sunsets to warm your heart, hugs when spirits sag, beauty for your eyes to see, friendships to brighten your being, faith so that you can believe, confidence for when you doubt, courage to know yourself, patience to accept the truth, Love to complete your life.” - Anonymous

Star speckles said...

Wishing you and your family every happiness in 2016. I love your blog, and think you are so strong for sharing your experience so honestly, and I love seeing your sewing journey - the coat in particular is fabulous!

xx

Jenny Larking said...

A very productive year for you. Love your socks, I bet they are very popular too. I hope 2016 will be very peaceful and that book wil get finished. Very best wishes and keep dry and warm up there.

Emma said...

Happy New Year, Roo, to you and yours.
I hope That FL manages to finish hids book.

jbettyb said...

Blessings to you and FL. I hope the FL is able to finish his book, and that 2016 brings you both peace and creativity.

Athene said...

A happy New Year to you both, I will follow your knitting and sewing adventures with interest, and the progress of FL's book. Best wishes

lemon said...

You are the first thing that I choose to read this first day of 2016. It is sunny and freezing here in Athens. I wish you all the best it can be, for this year.
My love Roo (and family!).

lilysgrannie said...

You have knit an amazing number of beautiful things this year, can't wait to see what you make in 2016. Happy New Year!