Saturday, December 12, 2015

Advent sock day 12

An astonishing thing happened this morning.
I was sitting at home with my toast and coffee, a mournful-eyed dog at my elbow, when my mobile phone started to ring...
It was FL!
Only yesterday he could not hold the phone steady for long enough to find a number, let alone stay awake long enough to hold a conversation.
Why the change?  Last night they gave him a bag of blood AT LAST.
He didn't say much, but he was able to be in touch.
Wow!
Just wow.
When I arrived at the hospital, he was asleep, but it was easy to wake him and he was able to hold a short conversation.
He said they had intended to give him two bags but something went wrong with his port and they had to cancel the second.
He managed to eat a pear (I must buy more!) and settled down with the newspaper while I knitted my sock.  It felt... almost normal.
When lunch arrived, he made a valiant attack on it, but fell asleep halfway through.
I sneaked out to get myself a coffee.
When I came back, they were just hooking him up for the second bag of blood.
I could see from the monitor that his blood pressure is alarmingly low:  they checked it every 15 minutes, which was reassuring.
The transfusion was only halfway done at 4pm and I needed to get back to the dog. I woke him to say I'd be back tomorrow morning.
He rang me again just now - it took until 8pm to finish bag two and he said they were still watching his blood pressure.
I have no illusions: this is a temporary fix.  
But how lovely to have him back in the present for a little while longer!

Saturday night is lottery night in Finland so let your color of the day be decided by the lottery and continue sock A by knitting 12 rounds in this color. Choose from your scrap yarns for example six nice colors and decide beforehand which color represent which numbers. Then let the first lottery number determine the color. If you don't have national lottery on Saturdays in your country, you can check the Finnish lottery numbers here.

The problem with this clue was two-fold:  (1) I didn't expect still to be awake when the Finnish lottery results were announced, and (2) I can't abide the shouty UK Lottery TV programme.  I think I have only bought a lottery ticket once in my life (I didn't win).
So I did it my own way and had a "Lucky Dip" in my scrap yarn bin instead.

And the winner is....
12 rows of a Knitting Goddess sample in Love Heart Red - perfect for transfusion day!

15 comments:

HappyAcademicRunner said...

Glad you both had a good day. I hope you both get rest and have another good day tomorrow. Xx

K.Line said...

That is terrific - and let's face it, everything in this world is temporary. I say, love all the good things while they're happening!

ambermog said...

Wonderful to hear of such a good day. It matters not if its just a day here and there Roo they all count and are to be appreciated and enjoyed. Much love and strength as always xxx

from103 said...

How lovely! So glad you had a good day! Love the aptness of the yarn too, Steph

Mary said...

Yayyy for a good day!! Mary

pamela said...

What lovely news! I hope you have a really good day together. Very best wishes to FL - I'm thinking about you both. As for poor mournful dog - they do a great job, don't they, of making you feel a heel for leaving them alone. Hero - it's in a good cause!! Be a brave fellow!

PS I was so enchanted by your Angelus Novus cardigan that I bought the pattern. Now to find just the right yarn...

pamela said...

By 'have a good day', I'm thinking of today, Sunday, when I'm writing my comments. Hoping the effects of the blood bags last. Just in case you think I'm not keeping up!

poppyinstitches said...

Such wonderful news and you must have been over the moon! x

deborah said...

I am so glad the blood has had such a positive effect - you must have been so thrilled by the call!I hope you have a good day together. With love and good wishes to you both x

spabbygirl said...

fantastic news!!! xx

Jane said...

What wonderful, cheering news. Thinking of you both every day and sending lots of love. xxx

Kitkat Krispie said...

Fantastic news! Sending millions of hugs to keep you strong.

Emma said...

Blood = good! I'm so pleased that it has enabled FL to be more present. So much better for him and for you. I hope they give him more!

Melissa said...

The gift of a good day! Hooray!

Lizzi said...

Awww - bless!