Sunday, December 06, 2015

Advent Sock Day 6

Last night was a better one, because I was prepared for it:  pillows, painkillers, water, tissues and a bucket on standby.
FL's breathing sounds as if he is under water and I think if he tried to lie flat he would drown.  So he slept propped up, with his softest handknit hat on :)
We got through to 5.20am without incident.  Painkillers administered, and slept again through to 8am when we both got up.
Scrambled eggs and grapes for breakfast.
He must be feeling a little better, because he asked me to fetch the newspaper.  
Rhubarb crumble and ice cream for lunch.
Tin of ravioli for dinner.
Lots and lots of sleep.  He quite often starts talking to me and falls asleep mid-sentence.  
I am monitoring work email from home tomorrow.  I need to pursue the GP / hospital / hospice.

Your kind and helpful words are so much appreciated.  I am sorry I have not been able to reply to all of you individually.  It appears that I can "reply" using my phone but not my laptop, and the connection keeps dropping out (the neighbours must be doing their Christmas shopping online!)
Thank you :)


Now we return to sock B. Today we celebrate the Independence day of Finland, our home country. The colour of the day is determined according to a yearly tradition, the Independence day reception at the presidential palace. Watch the live stream of  the "Castle ball" and pick the colour from the first dress you see. Knit six rounds with your color of the day. 


There is no way my rural broadband connection can support "live streaming" so I decided to knit my 6 rows in a suitably Finnish blue with festive silver sparkles.  (Yarn Yard Moondance) Party party!

I also did some spinning today - the background to this sock is my lovely Norwegian wool / bamboo mix from Fondant Fibre.

I am on the second sleeve of my amazing orange cardigan, Angelus Novus - there should be a finished object soon!

24 comments:

Athene said...

No words but sending you and FL my thoughts and wishes.

Knitlass said...

Glad to hear you are finding some coping strategies to help you and FL get sleep.

I love the way you are adapting the sock knit along! I looked at the instructions for day one and abandoned the idea because it seemed too complicated!

PaisleyPirouette said...

My best wishes and thoughts for you two!

Melissa said...

Just pop by to say I continue to read your posts and sending well wishes to both of you.

K.Line said...

I didn't know you were Finnish! Happy Independence Day. Keep crafting, R. There's nothing like knitting to restore sanity in a time of utter absurdity.

christina neumann said...

It sounds like it is quite difficult but you are doing a fine job helping your loved one. I hope it all goes as best as can be. Sending thoughts to you and your loved one.

Kate said...

Reading your posts is always a delight. My thoughts are with you.

Lucy said...

I am just so glad that your rural broadband has been restored at all. I can't imagine how lonely all of this must be *with* an e-connection to the rest of the world...

Roobeedoo said...

K line - oops! I am not Finnish at all. I was quoting the pattern page lol 😊

pamela said...

So glad Sunday was more restful. I'm another reader you don't know from 'a bar of soap' - was that the phrase? - but I've been following your blog for several years, loving your knitting and sewing adventures, and feeling hopeful / distressed about FL's ups and downs. I hope today goes well and you can get some support sorted out. The sock is stupendous!!

deborah said...

I hope you have a peaceful day and sending you much love.

sewbusylizzy.com said...

I'm an avid reader of your blog but a quiet one. I'm never lost for words but I'm always lost for words in this space. Your grace is humbling. Bless you both xo

Lynne said...

I am a newish follower, and I have enjoyed reading back over your sewing posts. I have not read your posts since November, so I am so shocked and sad for your sake, and for the sake of your husband.... I wish you both lots of love and the grace and strength you both will need. Prayers too... Lynne

Unknown said...

Roo - I have followed you for several years now. I am praying for you and FL as you walk this path. Have walked it twice with both my parents. You are loved.

blue hands said...

Glad you're beginning to manage the pain. Hard times. Wishing you well. x

Nina said...

Dear Roo,

You don't know me, but I've been reading your lovely blog for a while, I got sucked in by the wonderful, colourful knits, then stayed for the beautiful sewing projects.

I've also been following along with FL's story, and I wanted to add to the chorus of voices of those who are wishing you both love at this time.

Nina

Claire Newton said...

Dear Roo, Yours is such an intimate and familiar blog voice; so much is said and felt through relatively so few words. Wishing you love and strength, Claire x

Flossie in Stitches said...

I hope there isn't too much email to monitor and that it leaves with time to spend the day with FL and your knitting. :) There is little I can say that will help, but know that you are both in my thoughts. Much love. (PS I am @flossieinstitches on Instagram) x

Susan said...

It is so difficult to know what to say, except to wish you both love and peace. I find your courage amazing.

Paula K said...

Sending lots of hugs and love to you and FL.

Gillian Hall said...

I, also, have never commented before but have gained much delight and comfort from your blog during several difficult years, and much inspiration too. I admire you both very much and send my love and prayers to both of you at this time.

ambermog said...

Love, vibes and strength xxx

Lizzi said...

Keep doing what you do - it clearly works.

Donna Hensley said...

You are courageous. I'm sending you both big fuzzy alpaca hugs. Tenez bon.