Monday, December 07, 2015

Advent Sock day 7

First thing to say - I have caused a misunderstanding by copying in the text of the sock clues - the blogger who is running the knitalong is Finnish, but I am not!

I rang the GP at 10am this morning to ask for another home visit.
FL's chest is really bad.  The antibiotics are not working at all.  My greatest fear was pneumonia. Last night I kept checking his nose had not turned blue (the "sign" from last time).
It took me until noon to get him breakfasted and pilled.  He fell asleep in his broth twice.
He slept all afternoon and into the evening.
It was 2pm before the GP rang back and said he would be with us by 5pm.
Ha!
He eventually rang back after 7pm, checking for directions to the farm.
He checked FL's blood pressure and oxygen levels and listened to his chest.  He noted FL's swollen ankles.  His verdict was that FL's heart is struggling due to low haemoglobin and the fluid on his chest.  
So tomorrow morning FL is getting a trip in the ambulance for a blood transfusion and 24 hours of intravenous antibiotics to bring back his bounce.
I can't tell you how relieved I am.



Let's continue with sock B by knitting 7 rounds. The colour of the day is determined according to the temperature of the day (see the figure).



I dared not nip out to the car to find out the temperature - the GP might have rung.  So I checked the BBC weather site and it wa
s 8C at the airport and 7C in the market town.
We are in between the two, so that makes today's 7 rows a yellowish green.
These colour clues are giving me so much fun! :)

Also pictured... my new colouring book.
I pooh-poohed this trend until I tried it.
This particular book has a wonderful narrative thread and illustrations to get lost inside.
Sometimes even knitting is too stressful.

12 comments:

sewstyled said...

So sorry for all the issues FL and you are dealing with. I hope they can get all his medications and other things sorted out so he is comfortable!!!

On a completely other note, the socks will be wonderful and crazy- it's fun reading what determines the colour for the day.

poppyinstitches said...

Thinking of you, x

poppyinstitches said...

Thinking of you, x

paisleyapron said...

Thank goodness they are stepping up the care! Your socks are going to fabulous.

Linda C said...

Thinking so much of you two. When I say "mucinex" does that mean anything? It is an OTC pill which, if you take with lots of water, can relieve the chest congestion and coughing. All the water and the medicine can liquidify the mucus and help cough it up. Just that my husband had been have so much trouble with a cough. Trying to keep him well to start the radiation has been my goal.

I am so hoping that the GP can get FL in for a day or two to get whatever he needs.- and get everything stabilized.

You mentioned the coloring trend- I am so interested, My sister keeps mocking a cousin who spends a great deal of time doing this- I can only say "well,, you know my sister .'' She has no hobbies unless you can count lots of cats and politics. I wish she would read or watch movies. She used to do crewel and clog dance. I wish she would garden more- she was a vey keen gardener. I am going to the bookstore tomorrow - I will be looking at the coloring books - when I was a child, I loved coloring books and would work at them by the hour.
Much Love,
LindaC

I am from the South-,and we tend to sign things "with love", etc. I do meant it! I remember getting replies from the husbands, when two friends had died, signed "love, Wilton"and "love, Craig" I was so touched -

Always prayers for you both.

Cazz said...

That's good news about the hospital trip.

Loving the colouring book trend.

Laura said...

So glad to hear they're stepping up the treatment. And I figure they put the flashing lights etc on for the Queen when she travels, so he should get them too, although preferably under non-emergency situations only ;)

Look forward to hearing that the antibiotics have done their stuff. xxx

Lizzi said...

A wee transfusion should help immensely.

I am so tempted by those colouring books - apparently they help reduce stress - however, I remember having to ‘stay in the lines’ when colouring in as a child - surely that creates stress!!!

Kestrel said...

I'm really intrigued by the sock sewalong clues, it sounds like a fun surprise to see what's next. This, and the colouring book, sound like good things to get absorbed in to help keep you going xx

pennylibrarian said...

I do hope that today (Tuesday) goes well and that the transfusion and antibiotics give a much needed boost. I also most sincerely hope that you feel able to take some time for yourself while there are others to watch out for FL: Knit some sock, colour some colours, rest and return refreshed. Bugger work - in any of its forms.

Lorna A said...

I too an relieved to hear that FL is taking a day trip out. From experience I know how it feels to give over responsibility for care even if it is only for 24 hours, I'm guessing Tazocin is on the cards, Mike swears by it! :)

Love to you both. x x

Jennifer Hill said...

I do so echo pennylibrarian's comment; do, please, take the chance to look after yourself. Cram in as many treats as possible during that day : ) So hoping tomorrow gives you both a boost. Jen