Tuesday, December 08, 2015

Advent Sock day 8

The ambulance came for FL at noon.  We had been waiting since 9am.
I followed along in my car, with plenty of knitting.
Just as well I did, because I didn't get out of there until after 6pm.  FL is spending the night, for a full assessment.  He is going to see a Haematology doctor in the morning, and I plan to be there.  Their initial assessment is that he has a build up of fluid that is restricting his lungs and heart function.  His swollen legs are a sign of this too.
His red cell count has not fallen in the past week, but he is significantly weaker.  He has been asleep more than awake for about 3 days and nights.  He fell asleep mid-sentence when the hospital doctor was trying to talk to him, which was probably the clincher that booked him a bed for the night.
The dog was very glad to see when I got home.  Fortunately there were no puddles on the floor!


Today is the birthday of Finland's most famous composer, Jean Sibelius, and this gave us the inspiration for today's stripe. Did you know Sibelius heard music as colors? C major was red, F major green and D major yellow. Listen whether you like CF or D major the best (links are provided on the original blog), choose your color accordingly and knit 8 rounds of sock A.

Well, I was all set to listen to these this morning, when FL asked me what I was doing.
I explained and received an almighty scowl:  "Nope!  You want the Swan of Tuonela".
Do I?
"Yup. Zzzzzzz."

Now, the only problem with this suggestion is that it is in the key of A Minor... so I had to find out what colour Sibelius thought that was!  Apparently this has not been documented other than to say that he saw minor chords as somewhere between green and brown.  Kind of pea-and-ham-ish?


This is the most educational sock I have ever knitted!

8 rows didn't take me very long.

After that I cast on a brand new super wild sparkly sock in treat-myself Opal sock yarn.  I knitted 5 inches of that while we waited.
This picture does not do the colours justice at all - that grey is actually a twinkley aqua blue to green gradient.

25 comments:

HappyAcademicRunner said...

Thinking of you Roobeedoo. I hope you get some rest and FL too. Xx

HappyAcademicRunner said...

Thinking of you Roobeedoo. I hope you get some rest and FL too. Xx

Knitlass said...

Good to hear FL is being looked after tonight. Hope you enjoy a restful evening and a peaceful night. The sock yarn is totally bonkers! Love it.

Carmen Bouchard said...

One night of sleep. For you and him. Strength.

pamela said...

Dear Roo

Great that FL is being looked after for tonight. I hope you get some rest. Good you have the dog - a comfort maybe? As for sox - tremendous!! Words are hopeless in this situation, but I send good wishes. xx

Sally Blackledge said...

Roo, I live in Rosemount if you ever need a bed in an emergency.

SallyBlackledge

Roobeedoo said...

Sally that is incredibly kind of you :) not sure the dog would agree though...!

Jenny Larking said...

That dog has great bladder control. Try and get a good night's sleep knowing FL is in good hands.

Jodie said...

Roo - thinking of you. I'm glad that FL is being cared for at the hospital - hopefully they find the magic "cocktail" of medication to make him more comfortable. Wishing you both strength and peace. The Socks are great!

Saffi said...

Roo, I too hope you and FL get a good night's sleep, and that it helps give you the strength to deal with whatever tomorrow throws at you. (Also hoping that the dogs bladder control continues!)

Saffi said...

Roo, I too hope you and FL get a good night's sleep, and that it helps give you the strength to deal with whatever tomorrow throws at you. (Also hoping that the dogs bladder control continues!)

Sox said...

I'm glad FL is in hospital to be checked over. I hope you have a good nights sleep.

K.Line said...

So happy to hear he's being monitored. Now you can both relax a bit and get some sleep!

Linda C said...

I am glad that FL is there in the hospital for the night. You can rest easier (I hope) and so can he - nice and warm there, and people to keep the proper meds in his system.

Speaking of nice and warm, do you ever let the dog on the bed to sleep? That is warm. Annie (small boxer-lab) will often show up to doze on the bed while we watch TV. Jacquie ( tortie cat ) watches some shows with us ( nature, animals, birds, snakes, mice, etc.) When she is not interested, she turns her back.

Anyway- dog on the bed. Annie watches tv with us or husband, then he dozes and she dozes- around 11ish, he get up and walks her, then she happily sleeps in the crate. Some nights she has spent the night on the bed when we all slept through -nice and cozy, dog in between and cat on the pillow.

Thinking of you both tonight- rest well. I don't fear puddles when I am delayed - I fear a pile of pellets!

Love and prayers,

LindaC

Miss said...

Thinking of you both, and the dog, and your fabulous socks.
Praying, too.
Shalom x

Miss said...

PS, I'm told the French say "courage" (though I don't know the French for that). I think you are showing it, and the love, in spades.

sulkycat said...

I hope today brings some answers, and some rest for both of you. Never has a dog's bladder has so many congratulations!

Jen Arnall-Culliford said...

That Opal sock yarn is just the combination of cheery colours you must need just now. :)

Lizzi said...

Give me Lenny B any day - although FL’s choice is playing as I type and is quite lovely. FL clearly is a man of taste and style.
That tin of pea and ham looks tasty - and I don’t even eat meat - just reminds me of holidays as a wee girl - when we bought tins of things as opposed to cooking from scratch.

Laura said...

Good heavens, while I love the Advent sock, that's far too much thought required ;) Lovely choices though, and I'm loving hearing all about it as it goes. And SPARKLES. I'm such a sucker for anything sparkly - I think I might have been a magpie in a former life ;)

Hope they can sort out the fluid for FL - sounds like they're taking it seriously at least.

coyotewoman said...

Hope you're getting a little rest. Would love to hear your love story - how you first met and how you reconnected. Do you have an older blog post I could read?

ambermog said...

Thinking of you both and sending vibes your way xx

bagqueen said...

Ive not been around your blog for a while and just dropped in to find out FL is quite poorly, I'm so sorry to hear that and will be thinking of you both as you care for him and as you deal with the system that treats him. I have had experience of hospitals and hospices recently and while nearly all the individuals are lovely sometimes the regime they have to work within is barmy!!

lemon said...

Every night, before going to bed, I seek to know how you (both) are doing. Unfortunately that does not help you at all. But so it is.
I wish one day to meet you, and have coffee together, and talk books, and teach me how to knit socks.
<3

Sabs said...

I hope you got some rest while FL is in hospital and that today has been a better day xx