Tuesday, December 01, 2015

On The First Day of Christmas

On the first day of Christmas, my true love gave to me...
a day in the Waiting Room?
How romantic!
But at least I had my knitting :)
I have decided to join in with the Adventure Scrap Sock knitalong, hosted on a Finnish knitting blog, by Neulisti here.


If I was feeling really adventurous I would be knitting in Finnish.  But that would be one step too far.  I recognise the word for "sock" and then it all goes a bit (partridge in a) pear-shaped (tree).
So English it is!

It is a toe-up sock, which I find challenging.
The premise of the knitalong is that the pattern builds up according to the day of Advent, so today I had to knit one row.
This is going to suit my schedule pretty well I think:  by Christmas Eve I should have finished all my gift-knitting, so will be free to dedicate myself to 24 rows of self-indulgence and a mince pie - woo hoo!

It is a free pattern, so I don't feel guilty telling you about Clue One.  I had to work one row in the colour corresponding to the time of day I started knitting it, according to this colour wheel / clock:


As you can see, I started Clue One at 3.30pm - bright sunshine yellow.
I can tell this is going to be lot of fun!


Hospital Update

badbadbad

FL's Freelite (Myeloma) score rose from 170 in September to 373 in November, which is bad enough, but worse when you look at the ratio of kappa to lambda which had soared from 26 to 300.
His Haemoglobin is down to 86, which makes him tired and breathless.

We saw a doctor we hadn't seen since she went on maternity leave a year ago.  This was a bit frustrating because she had to catch up before we began.

What was interesting was that she looked right back to FL's diagnosis in 2007.  His myeloma was at a similar level to now, and his symptoms were also very similar:  centred on a pain deep in his chest.  Looking at FL's most recent x-rays, she thinks it is likely that the myeloma has returned to attack the same point in his upper ribs.  She is going to enquire about radiotherapy.

I wonder if the Consultant threw her at us in the hope that she would come up with a bright idea:  a fresh pair of eyes?

She certainly tried really really hard to help.  She was lovely.

But she was not impressed that the Consultant had not properly explained that FL's only options now are palliative:  increased pain relief and blood transfusions.
He will have both, thank you.
She prescribed stronger, morphine-based painkillers.
His first blood transfusion is in 2 weeks.

This evening it became clear to FL what this means.
He is sad that he might not finish his book.

Counting down the days to Christmas feels uncomfortable in these circumstances.
But I suppose at least there is a pair of crazy happy socks to look forward to.
I am hoping to Instagram or blog sock-progress every day, to keep me motivated.
Onwards!




44 comments:

Wakeymakes said...

Bugger. Can I write that. Bugger bugger bugger. Love the idea of an advent sock. I might finish if I kept to a plan. This is going to look amazing. Virtual hugs K xXx

Jenni said...

Glad the sock is in such a cheerful set of colours x thinking of you x

K.Line said...

I have nothing useful to offer up here except to say that I read your posts with interest, always, and I look forward to hearing about FL and how he's doing. I'm always hopeful that his health will improve. Please know that your honest recounting of this impossible journey does not go unnoticed. I really hope that your communications here make you feel supported right now. You have many people thinking of you and giving you tons of love and consideration. I sincerely hope that this time (however it progresses) can be one of deepened self-awareness and joy, for each of you, to whatever extent it can be. xo

Nita said...

(((HUGS)))

Ms. McCall said...

I can't say anything except if there's anything your readers can do from halfway across the world, please let us know. xxx

SewTypical said...

sending you hugs -
hope the sock colors bring you some happiness.

liza jane said...

Big hugs. Thinking of you.

deborah said...

Just want you to know that I am thinking of you x

Lizzi said...

Ditto to Wakeymakes and K.Line

Bless you both.

Knitlass said...

Oh.

Sorry to hear that.

Hope you both manage some light and fun in these dark days of winter. Sending virtual knitterly good wishes to you both.

Emma said...

Shit, bugger and crap.
I think that covers it. For now.
Sorry that the hospital visit was...well...not good. Nothing helpful to say, other than I feel for both you and FL.

Mairead Hardy said...

What can I say? Not a lot that is printable. Life is utter shit sometimes.

Sending you both hugs, love and strength.

At least there is always knitting.

pamela said...

I've been following your blog with huge interest, enjoyment and admiration for many months, always hoping for a truly happy outcome for FL. Now I'm thinking about you both, wishing you love and good fellowship and consolation. Making each day count - does that seem hopelessly sentimental? And yet I think it does make a difference when time is short.

Thank goodness for knitting!! May your Christmas sock flourish.

Good wishes,

Pamela

Athene said...

Sorry to hear the news, and I too hope that the sock knitting brings a glimmer of brightness to these dark days. Words don't help, nothing does really but there are a lot of people thinking of you.

Violet said...

I've been reading you for years, but have rarely commented. I've always been so pleased when FL was doing well. Hoping for the best of all possible outcomes for you both.

blue hands said...

Love to you both. xxx

Paula K said...

Long time reader, rare commenter. Just wanted to send hugs from halfway across the world. Knit on through all things. xoxoxo

starryfish said...

I think about you and FL every Tuesday, waiting rooms are horrid, but I hope your knitting helps. I hope FL gets the best palliative care he can.

Clare said...

Thinking of you both, sending love and strength. Xx

Glasto63 said...

i have been silently enjoying your blogs for the past couple of years, and just want to say that my thoughts and positive vibes are with you & FL. Please look after yourself x

Maeve said...

As everyone else has said - thoughts and good wishes with you. And virtual hugs. Tea and knit on...

Melissa said...

Oh, blast! I'm so sorry. Keeping you guys in my thoughts, prayers and all that. Glad you have knitting as a comforting companion. Take care.

Sadie said...

*hugs* I'm sorry the news is not good - thinking of you both xx

RooKnits said...

You are never far from my thoughts Roo. Hugs xx

Tamsin said...

I feel so sad for you both, I don't know what to say. Massive hugs xxx

jessica said...

Oh sweetie, I'm so sorry to hear all of this. Thinking of both of you, and sending hugs across the ocean.

Charlotte said...

Oh heartbreak. Here in the states the palliative care is offered by hospice folks and it's really good -- people often fear to avail themselves of it because of what it implies (and because it's end-stage by definition) -- but I've known so many people who have been helped, and stayed in their homes, and have had great pain relief. So, if available in the UK -- well, I guess just an encouraging note to take advantage of all the palliative resources that you can.
The socks are marvelous -- although today's clue, which involves the kind of hexidecimal notation I've spent my entire high-tech career avoiding -- might have done me in!
Love and good wishes from the other side of the globe ...

ambermog said...

Oh Roo, my heart goes out to you both:( we are on a similar journey as you know and the only answer I've found is to live for each day and craft as often as I can. Distractions that aren't really but at the time they seem it. Sending strength for you both and holding you both in my heart and thoughts. The sock looks very interesting. Have never done toe up yet but oh my that yellow sings . With love from Mr Mog and I Xxx

Sharon said...

De-lurking to say that I've followed your blog for years, and your wit, humor, and can-do spirit have often brought a smile to my face. Very saddened to read of the limited options now for FL, so with all my might, I'm sending virtual support across the big pond to you and him. You both are in my prayers.

Mary Danielson said...

Sending love and hugs your way!

Cherie said...

Another long-time Roo admirer de-lurking to agree with K-line's wise words. We also have had palliative care, and it was so helpful - the nurse helped us greatly with her knowledge and also her humanity. Hugs across the world!

sewstyled said...

So sorry about the news you and FL have had. That said at least you have some answers and solutions- better pain control and a better night of sleep. May your knitting and crafting bring you peace and pleasant diversions.

leslie said...

Yet another de-lurker, sending hugs and good thoughts to you both from Canada. Thank goodness there is knitting...and yours is always so beautiful. I always enjoy your posts, in fact you inspired me to make the camber dress...and now I've made four! Take care

MaryinTN said...

Hugs Roo. Very sad to hear FL's health news. You and he are in our thoughts and prayers!

Sew little time said...

so sorry to hear your and FL's news. thinking of you both and sending lots of love. xxx

Sarahel said...

I've only just seen this. I'm so very, very sorry. You've so often brightened my life with your posts and pictures that I wish there was something I could do to brighten yours just now.

lemon said...

<3

Lorna A said...

I'm sorry I haven't been around to comment before and even sorrier to hear about FL's diagnosis. There is no beating about the bush and so I hope that this very special Advent and Christmas is as magical, peaceful and wonderful as you Roo. xxxx

If there is anything I can do, please get in touch (I will make a special effort to check the blog comments daily.)

Sabs said...

Sending hugs xx

auchenshugglegranny said...

Gentle huggs to you both at this time and always. You are in my thoughts daily

Claire Sutherland said...

Sorry to hear this news. I enjoy reading your blog and am thinking of you both x

Star speckles said...

So sorry to hear this. Thinking of you both xx

Lucy said...

Holding you very firmly in the Light indeed. Bollocks to cancer.

Mad about Craft said...

I am also a lurker than is watching helplessly.
1
Love to you both and enjoy the socks